TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Technical Forums > Buick Turbo Tech
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Buick Turbo Tech General technical support for the 86-87 Buick turbo cars

Old 10-01-2008, 11:55 AM

Question Roller Cam Brak In

IS there a real way to break in a roller cam?? I have the whole shabang from Roller cam to rockers.. Just curious. Didnt rally see anything w the book from comp.... Is there any real time to wait to beat on it? Tia boys... Psycho 6.....
Old 10-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Wait until the engine starts. Then it is broken in all it needs to be.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:00 PM

F''in A... Thanks.. I hope I notice a difference, but i still have stock heads.. we will see. The security w the oils is worth it alone..
Old 10-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

What cam did you get?
You should notice one heck of a difference. When we put one in mine, it revved and spooled much better.

I'm with you on the oil bit. I won't use anything but a roller for these motors anymore, except maybe for the one that I have brand new in the box. I might use that one, or sell it. Dunno.

11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:01 PM

Red face

Jack Said I would be fine w a 206/206... This is my only car and I drive it everyday (at least when its running lolol) sell that cam its really not worth it. Roller is the only way to go. Im hoping a 12 sec run on fri but i still gotta mess w the slicks and studs drivshat loop.. But today I will reinstall that pseky cam sensor and see how she sounds... Im nervous and excited all at once... I havent had luck w this car so nothng will surprise me now...
Old 10-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Friday??
You going to Cecil?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:55 PM

I wish. Actually a couple of freidns rent out Island Dragway once a year.. Its a blast. Every yr I go its always something w me. 1st blew my motor 2nd time slicks rubbed on frame and trans was ok.. Havent done trans yet (winter project) but we will see...EVery yr my time gets worse.. I mean wors than factory times.. So its a fun day no matter what..
Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Fat Kid

Post Oil

Actually, concerning oil in the engines, I was worried sick about my number's matching 327 for the Impala SS. It has a hydraulic flat tappet cam, and there was too many horror stories about today's modern oil, wipeing out the lifters and lobes. So instead of putting in the hydraulic roller cam I have on the shelf, complete retro-fit kit, which would require having the spring seats cut. Not too mention an almost complete teardown, of which I am lazy, and working on the BB roller for that car and the crank isn't drilled for a damper bolt (small journal engines back then). I dropped in a gallon of 15W-40 Rotilla-T diesel oil and a quart of ATF for good measure. (Purchased early 2007 and shaken well.)

The diesel oils still have the lubricating qualities we desire, and the ATF cleans the gunk out of the engines, and it's good for the valves. I have been using ATF to clean out the old Small Journal engines for some time now, and it really works wonders. You would think that the engine was rebuilt just this year. Just make sure you drain the oil while it's hot, and have enough time to let all the "bad stuff" come out the drain hole. I think that I left mine over the drain pan overnight, in the garage of course.
One 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass,

One 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass,
One 1982 Volkswagen Pickup Turbo Diesel,
One 1990 Ford F250 With Banks help
One 1990 9C1 Red and White