TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Technical Forums > Buick Turbo Tech

Buick Turbo Tech General technical support for the 86-87 Buick turbo cars

Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 PM
I can't drive 55!

Default New Anti-cooling Radiator....

Brian nailed it on the head!

Blew my headgaskets last year. I replaced the gaskets and bled the cooling system. Took it out once last year after I did them and saw that it was running hotter than normal after the run and took awhile for it to cool down. I thought maybe it was the thermostat. I drained it and put anti-freeze in it over the winter.
This year i replaced the thermostat, and bled the cooling system again with a spill proof funnel. I figured I was good to go....
Went to the Valley Memorial day weekend and same thing happened. Running hot after the run and took a while for it to cool down....

Brian comes over ask me whats wrong, leans over and looks at my radiator. There's your problem, there's no air going through the radiator! When I blew the gaskets, it pressurized the cooling system and blew up the rows in the radiator crushing all the fins together.

Just wanted to post this up in case some one has the same problem after blowing a headgasket. I never even thought to check it!

Thanks Brian!
87 GN, RPE built 109 stroked, RJC girdle, billet main caps, custom comp roller cam, Champion ported aluminum heads, Champion aluminum intake, T&D 1.65 rockers, 96 lb injectors, Accufab 70mm throttle body RJC pullies, RJC A/C bracket,GTK-850, ATR headers,Deeds electronic boost controller, Cotton’s 4 inch down pipe w/ Turbonetics RG 45 gate, XFI, Cotton’s front mount, Level 10 built 400 trans w/brake, Converter? ,33 spline Moser axles, Spool, HR bar.

New best 9.44 @ 143!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Married Man

That thing was ugly.... sent you out one yesterday.... some nice turbo weather out there... took the Pumpkin to a big car show last nite with Lorrie and taylor in the back seat...it was a blast. I gotta get back to the track but I hope my next trip doesn't cause so much controversy...
Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I can't drive 55!

I know! If you look at the full shot of the radiator you can see that it is actually bowed on the top and the bottom, yikes! I can't believe it was cooling at all...

As for that other board....How sad it is that as soon as they see Jack Cotton's name that everyone has to attack. Don't these people have family and lives...You ran fantasitc, there is a ton of potential left in the car, we had a fantastic weekend, you and your family are nothing but kind sharing everything you have with all the customers and people that came through our camp. How many customers do you have and how many guys keep trying to dog you, hmmm.

Everything isn't about TSO and TSM.
They are both great classes, and there are alot of fast cars out there in those fields. The world doesn't revolve around that though.

Like everyone else is saying, we are a small community, getting smaller by the year. Concentrate on improving our cars not wasting time trying to bash and think of clever ways to ask questions to seem like it was completely innocent and no malice was intended.

Thank you for shipping that out! I have been trying to call you since Friday afternoon, you know how it is. I will call you in a few...
87 GN, RPE built 109 stroked, RJC girdle, billet main caps, custom comp roller cam, Champion ported aluminum heads, Champion aluminum intake, T&D 1.65 rockers, 96 lb injectors, Accufab 70mm throttle body RJC pullies, RJC A/C bracket,GTK-850, ATR headers,Deeds electronic boost controller, Cotton’s 4 inch down pipe w/ Turbonetics RG 45 gate, XFI, Cotton’s front mount, Level 10 built 400 trans w/brake, Converter? ,33 spline Moser axles, Spool, HR bar.

New best 9.44 @ 143!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:04 PM
The Boss

well said Michael....some people have their priorities correct.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I can't drive 55!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBabe View Post
well said Michael....some people have their priorities correct.
Thanks! You guys are the best and Jack doesn't deserve that BS. I don't even want to post anything on that board anymore. A few bad apples spoils it for everyone....

Jack, I got the radiator, Thanks!

Only thing is you shipped me everything! Do you need the upper and lower hoses and trans line fittings back? I figured you would need that to put your new one in.

New best 9.44 @ 143!
Old 06-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbochrgd1 View Post
Thanks! You guys are the best and Jack doesn't deserve that BS. I don't even want to post anything on that board anymore. A few bad apples spoils it for everyone....

Jack, I got the radiator, Thanks!

Only thing is you shipped me everything! Do you need the upper and lower hoses and trans line fittings back? I figured you would need that to put your new one in.
yeah sorry mike... the UPS guy was waiting to leave when I was boxing it up, and it's a new guy so I don't wanna piss him off just yet.. he'll learn soon enough... Send back everything you don't need. THANKS!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:08 PM
I can't drive 55!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrywithaG View Post
yeah sorry mike... the UPS guy was waiting to leave when I was boxing it up, and it's a new guy so I don't wanna piss him off just yet.. he'll learn soon enough... Send back everything you don't need. THANKS!
LOL, ok, no problem. Kinda figured you you guys would need that stuff, I'll get it off tonight and ship it back to you tomorrow.

New best 9.44 @ 143!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:03 AM

Very nice Mike,
I have seen worse Good to see you got the car back up and running.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:02 PM
I can't drive 55!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Colalillo View Post
Very nice Mike,
I have seen worse Good to see you got the car back up and running.
Thanks Sam!

It was Jack to the rescue again with the radiator. Car is running pretty good. ran 9.63, 9.61 and 9.57, The last run I had the boost @25 psi. I would love to turn it up but you know what happened last time that happened!
At this point we are having alot of fun at the track with the kids and being apart of the Buick community. We picked up a golf cart and fixed it up so my wife would have an easier time with the kids going back and forth to the lanes,
Instead of turning the boost up I'll work on my 60', that 9.57 was with a 1.43.

How's your car? From the looks of your signature it's flyin'! Nice!

New best 9.44 @ 143!