TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > COTTONSPERFORMANCE.COM > The Lounge
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Lounge A place we can all just hang and shoot it..

Old 06-30-2008, 01:50 PM
I can't drive 55!

Default DA PINKS CAR, "Part Deux"

(I did the "part deux" for our Canadian friends)

Ok, so we went to the Island on Saturday. It was the same condtions as the Valley, hot, humid, and rain between the third to last run. I had fixed the transbrake from the last outing. I left everything the same from the last outing. 1st pass ran a 10.22 @132.35, 60 ft 1.48 1/8th 106.72. Next pass ran 10.10 @132.78 60ft 1.47 1/8th 107.61. Both passes were pretty close to the last outing. Next pass I turned the boost up 2 pounds, ran 10.13 @132.66 60ft 1.46 1/8th 107.7. I thought it was kinds strange that the et and the mph didn't change. It started raining so I put it back into the trailer and was going to call it a day. 15 minutes later it was sunny. So I pulled it out and turned the boost up to 24 pounds and made another pass. 10.14 @132.44 60 ft. 1.49 1/8th 107.33. At that point I pulled it back in the trailer and headed to Frienldy's with my wife and kids. I spoke to Jack about it that evening.(He called me back even though he was spending time with his wife at the races in New Hampshire! Thanks Jack!) He thought it was odd too that the boost didn't make a difference. Something must be up with the controller. I was reading throught the manual but it was a little hard to try to figure it out when you have your two kids trying to "help you" read it. So I think for now I will leave it alone and go to the show the way it is. It is consistent. We'll "fix" it afterwards. ON a side note, I think it's incredible that the car runs that good when the conditions are that bad.
87 GN, RPE built 109 stroked, RJC girdle, billet main caps, custom comp roller cam, Champion ported aluminum heads, Champion aluminum intake, T&D 1.65 rockers, 96 lb injectors, Accufab 70mm throttle body RJC pullies, RJC A/C bracket,GTK-850, ATR headers,Deeds electronic boost controller, Cotton’s 4 inch down pipe w/ Turbonetics RG 45 gate, XFI, Cotton’s front mount, Level 10 built 400 trans w/brake, Converter? ,33 spline Moser axles, Spool, HR bar.

New best 9.44 @ 143!
Old 06-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Fat Kid

Glad it's that consistent! I have a feeling you'll break into the 9's with it. Just think what some 20 degree cooler days will do. Also, less humidity. You'll get those issues worked out in no time.
One 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass,

One 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass,
One 1982 Volkswagen Pickup Turbo Diesel,
One 1990 Ford F250 With Banks help
One 1990 9C1 Red and White
Old 06-30-2008, 03:02 PM
I can't drive 55!

Thanks! Especially since I think I am running those numbers with 17-18 pounds of boost!
87 GN, RPE built 109 stroked, RJC girdle, billet main caps, custom comp roller cam, Champion ported aluminum heads, Champion aluminum intake, T&D 1.65 rockers, 96 lb injectors, Accufab 70mm throttle body RJC pullies, RJC A/C bracket,GTK-850, ATR headers,Deeds electronic boost controller, Cotton’s 4 inch down pipe w/ Turbonetics RG 45 gate, XFI, Cotton’s front mount, Level 10 built 400 trans w/brake, Converter? ,33 spline Moser axles, Spool, HR bar.

New best 9.44 @ 143!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Nitro boy

Mike, what boost was recorded on your FAST? Did it show an increase when you dialed up the boost controller? It does seem strange. On my last turbo, it would not make any more power past 23 psi. A change in wheel design solved that.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:34 AM

Looks like you got a high 9 second car on your hands . NICE!!! I watched it run at LVD a few weeks back it was pretty impressive . Considering 1st time out & conservative set-up..... At Island dragway do they run test & tune on what day ? Good Luck Bro !!!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I can't drive 55!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHynes View Post
Mike, what boost was recorded on your FAST? Did it show an increase when you dialed up the boost controller? It does seem strange. On my last turbo, it would not make any more power past 23 psi. A change in wheel design solved that.
UH...yeah, So the story goes, I got everything together for the track the previous night. I loaded the laptop, and the serial to usb adapter in the truck. Got to the track the next morning go to hook up the computer.......I left the small disc for the usb on my kitchen counter, so I couldn't hook up the laptop. I think that even though I moved the boost up on the controller to 24 pounds, it didn't allow more boost to be introduced. I ran almost identical to the last outing. (which if that is the case that is great that I went 10.01 @134 with 17-18 pounds of boost!) We might go again this Saturday......This time I will be prepared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineborique View Post
Looks like you got a high 9 second car on your hands . NICE!!! I watched it run at LVD a few weeks back it was pretty impressive . Considering 1st time out & conservative set-up..... At Island dragway do they run test & tune on what day ? Good Luck Bro !!!
Thanks! Yes, I hope the way it sits it's a high 9 second car. With a little cooler weather and more boost....Who knows! Jack really hasn't even started to tweak anything yet! Usually Saturday is test and tune @ Isalnd. I was going Friday nights but they changed the rules to you have to have state inspection, plates and registration. I think I might have a way around that though.

New best 9.44 @ 143!
Old 07-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Fat Kid

Thanks! Yes, I hope the way it sits it's a high 9 second car. With a little cooler weather and more boost....Who knows! Jack really hasn't even started to tweak anything yet! Usually Saturday is test and tune @ Isalnd. I was going Friday nights but they changed the rules to you have to have state inspection, plates and registration. I think I might have a way around that though.[/QUOTE]

They want inspection, plates, etc for a test and tune? That's BS, I live 5 minutes away from there, and there had to be a reason I have never gone there! It's easier to take the cars to E-town (historic plates, lost or wrong insurance cards, different "numbers", etc).
Do they still want all the papers on the test and tune for Saturday?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I can't drive 55!

Quote:
Originally Posted by impaloligist View Post
Thanks! Yes, I hope the way it sits it's a high 9 second car. With a little cooler weather and more boost....Who knows! Jack really hasn't even started to tweak anything yet! Usually Saturday is test and tune @ Isalnd. I was going Friday nights but they changed the rules to you have to have state inspection, plates and registration. I think I might have a way around that though.
They want inspection, plates, etc for a test and tune? That's BS, I live 5 minutes away from there, and there had to be a reason I have never gone there! It's easier to take the cars to E-town (historic plates, lost or wrong insurance cards, different "numbers", etc).
Do they still want all the papers on the test and tune for Saturday?[/QUOTE]

Well, Friday night @ Island is "street legal racing night" I used to go there with my car last year ,and previous years and never had a problem. My wife had just happened to look at the site before we left and she saw that stipulation. I still like going there, always have. I have never had a problem there. I guess they want to keep it more of a "real street racing night" and no "race cars." You don't need plates registration and inspection for test and tune on Saturday. It's a great track, don't let that deter you from going there. Next time we go you should check it out.

New best 9.44 @ 143!
Old 07-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Fat Kid

Just let me know, as it would be good to see everyone again. One thing that I always wanted to go to, was the BBQ nights, but work and personal schedules sometimes don't allow me to get back there in time. I will just have to go one night and actually see that place from the inside out. Of course I most likely won't have the cars there, they are back in my home town (one up at Jack's Shop). Maybe I'll just have to race the VW pickup! It's not a turbo diesel, just a regular diesel. Nothing else runs without issues, and the #2 Impala won't go too fast with the 3.08 gear set I installed (although it now gets better mileage at 115 mph).