TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Team Cotton's Performance > Ask Jack
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Ask Jack The best place to find me for any reason

Old 05-31-2008, 10:34 PM

Default 87 GN need a plan

Hi Guys; I'm new to the forum and would very much appreciate your getting help me get my 87GN back on the road. Here's the situation car purchased new driven lightly from 1987 to 2000 total miles 14,500 tocurrent . Car has never been at the track so about 98% stock except for a stage two performance chip. Ok since 2000 the car has not moved or been started, the last time I ran it I moved to a new place and the only thing that was wrong was that the brake pedal was low. Does anyone have a recipe for start-up after such a long time. What should I do first beside kick myself for the neglect. Thanks so much.
Rick Schmid
Old 06-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Nitro boy

Drain the fuel tank and put in fresh gas--- change out the spark plugs, spray some lubricant into the cylinders, and rotate by hand---change the oil and filter, remove the cam sensor and prime the engine. I would also flush out the coolant from the block and radiator and replace with new. Crank her over.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 AM
Fat Kid

Dealing with my old cars, I would service the trans too. Remember to run through all the gears manually while it is up on jackstands. Not too fast just enough to get it to shift. This will help to get all the clutch packs wet again. Also, pull the rear drums to check if the axle seals went bad. I have has them stick to the axles and were destroyed upon driving for the first time. Now is the best time to find out. If they need replacement, then it would be a good time to service the rear end. Better safe than sorry, pay particular attention to your brakes, as you said that the pedal is low. Brian Hynes has got you covered with the engine, he has a lot of experience with the GNs. Good luck and let us know how you make out!
One 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass,

One 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass,
One 1982 Volkswagen Pickup Turbo Diesel,
One 1990 Ford F250 With Banks help
One 1990 9C1 Red and White
Old 06-05-2008, 02:41 PM

Default 87 gn need a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHynes View Post
Drain the fuel tank and put in fresh gas--- change out the spark plugs, spray some lubricant into the cylinders, and rotate by hand---change the oil and filter, remove the cam sensor and prime the engine. I would also flush out the coolant from the block and radiator and replace with new. Crank her over.
Hi Brian;
This a stupid question. How do I crank the engin by hand. Obviously plugs out of car. Thanks Rick
Old 06-05-2008, 06:14 PM
2 Lemon Ades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick schmid View Post
Hi Brian;
This a stupid question. How do I crank the engin by hand. Obviously plugs out of car. Thanks Rick
you can either put a socket on the crank pulley or Disconnect the orange/ecm wire by the battery and bump it over with the key...
With the orange wire disconnected you can also crank the car over till the oil light goes out before your intial start up