TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Team Cotton's Performance > Ask Jack
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Ask Jack The best place to find me for any reason

Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Default XFI: Grand National, won't restart after reaching operating temp

Installed a FAST XFI 2.0 with all updates into a 1986 Buick Grand National using Casper Electronics's Wiring Adapter. Car runs great, was very simple to tune, I couldn't be more pleased with this product. Only problem is once it reached normal operating temperature and you turn it off it will not restart. Seems to be running way too RICH, as garage smells like unburnt fuel after I try to restart it a few times.

Obviously I tried to correct the problem in the CRANKING FUEL Table, but with no success. I attempted to take -25% out of entire table, all this did was cause hesitation in cold start temps. Tried all variations between -5% to -25% with no success.

I must be missing something obvious, like an un-checked box somewhere or something simple. Car runs perfect, acceleration is perfect, cruising perfect, under BOOST perfect and deceleration, also perfect. You would figure this to be the simplest part of the tuning, but I just can't get it to start. But once it cools off, car starts right back up, when fully warmed up, car runs perfect and has never stalled once.

Tried calling Kevin at FAST Tech Support, as I heard he has an XFI in a GN, but couldn't reach him. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You in advance.

Last edited by RuthlessPerform; 08-14-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 PM

Jack,

Problem solved. Just needed to richen it up, it wasn't actually running rich, I smelt gas because I tried to start it so many times. Took 25% more fuel trim to get it right and to remove 5% on the After Start Delay, but it's perfect now.

Thanks for the XFI!!!!!!

Can't wait to install the new fuel pump and hot wire kit when you guys send it out!!!

I have tuned MicroTech, HalTech, MegaSquirt, AEM and MOTEC ECUs, the FAST XFI is by far the easiest I have used to work with and your initial tune saved me so much time. I will certainly be pushing this ECU on my customers from now on.

This winter I will be doing the suspension, poly bushings, sway bars, TA Rear Cover, Axles, C-Clip Eliminators and going to try to talk him into a complete motor build with rods, pistons and hopefully Champion Heads & Intake.

Tell Gerry I said thanks for everything also.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Glad it worked out Joe.

You'll be receiving a UPS package tomorrow by the way.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 PM

Gerry,

Thanks that's music to my ears. Looking forward to getting the fuel pump, hot wire kit and fuel filter in the GN.

Thanks for everything, you can be sure you will be hearing from me again shortly.

Joey