TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Technical Forums > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A great place to get info related to V6 engines, cams, pistons, heads... etc.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:42 PM

Default Front cover r&r

I got a terrible oil leak somewhere around front cover or brass oil pressure block or maybe PTE adapter cover. Thinking about taking off aftermarket cover and putting on used GM cover. Question is isn't there some of the cover bolts that may leak (go thru into the block) if not sealed up with thread sealer? I wrapped shop towels and some duct tape around the PTE plate and front cover and ran the car to eliminate possible VC leak and it stopped the oil blowing up on the underside of the header pipe like it was doing so it has to be front cover, brass block or sending unit for oil pressure, or maybe PTE screw on cover. Drainback tube gasket is okay and dry..used the GM black thick one's on that. Also don't the oil pan need to be dropped to do the cover? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I got a terrible oil leak somewhere around front cover or brass oil pressure block or maybe PTE adapter cover. Thinking about taking off aftermarket cover and putting on used GM cover. Question is isn't there some of the cover bolts that may leak (go thru into the block) if not sealed up with thread sealer? I wrapped shop towels and some duct tape around the PTE plate and front cover and ran the car to eliminate possible VC leak and it stopped the oil blowing up on the underside of the header pipe like it was doing so it has to be front cover, brass block or sending unit for oil pressure, or maybe PTE screw on cover. Drainback tube gasket is okay and dry..used the GM black thick one's on that. Also don't the oil pan need to be dropped to do the cover? Thanks in advance.
Paul, I doubt it is the cover, although I have seen one of the bolt not installed on the oil pump side of the cover cause a pretty good leak. 2nd or 3rd bolt up is easy to miss. Also on the PTE turbo saver, isf you tighten it down too much the O-ring can crack and leak. We lube the o-ring to prevent this from happening. I dislike the replacement covers, lots of other problems with them. I always prefer using the stock covers with a HV pump.