TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > COTTONSPERFORMANCE.COM > The Lounge
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Lounge A place we can all just hang and shoot it..

Old 02-12-2008, 01:38 AM
delinquent taxpayer

Default When is it OK to switch drivers

I began watching nascar 30+ years ago. Went to the 25th anniversary Daytona and have been to Dega 4 times, Bristol, ATL, NHIS, Pocono.

Way back I was a Swirvin Irvan fan - then he stopped racing and I was a fan of old #3, Then #8....

During race season I listen to Sirius nascar after every race to hear all the chatter of this guy that guy blah blah. To be honest by the end of last season I didn't care who won the races or the Cup.

During the off season I tossed my 3 #8 shirts into salvation army bin with some other clothes I no longer liked...

I thought of jumping into new Jr garb but have never been a Hendricks fan - everyone there is to damn polished and PC all the time.

Then there was a flash this winter when I said the hell with it - I'm not even gonna be a fan of this mass appeal "entertainment package" nascar has become.

then during the week leading up to this weekends Bud Shootout I had thoughts of new beginings as a Stewart fan....

Then Jr goes and gives me some hope Saturday night

So back to the topic - when is it "OK" to switch drivers......
Old 02-12-2008, 09:23 AM
The Boss

I thought it was okay to switch drivers with each lap? You mean you have had only one favorite driver for 30 years? I like so many, it is easier to pick the one I don't like.....Kurt Busch!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:07 PM
2 Lemon Ades...

I hear that... When Jr went to Hendrick my heart sank. When you think about the circumstances and why he did it. He wants to be his own person. He will Always be an Earnhardt. He can run from the shadow but never escape the name. Dale Sr would have done the same thing if he felt his equipment was substandard .
There are other drivers I respect, Smoke is on top of the list. I respect Mark Martin. It does not matter his team affiliation, he's a gentleman. Schrader, to me doesnt have the equipment. Listen to his interviews Nascars off this weekend, Im racing fri here sat there. The guy loves to race with his wheel time and the right equipment he could win races. I hate watching him just going through the motions....
Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 PM
2 Lemon Ades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBabe View Post
I thought it was okay to switch drivers with each lap? You mean you have had only one favorite driver for 30 years? I like so many, it is easier to pick the one I don't like.....Kurt Busch!
Here ya go Lorrie

Although Busch and Stewart confronted each other during a closed-door meeting with NASCAR officials after the incident — and it was widely believed that Stewart punched Busch, speculation that no one would either confirm or deny — Poston stressed that nothing that happened off the track factored into their discipline

The whole story
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080212/...car_daytona500

Last edited by Mike_g; 02-14-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 PM
delinquent taxpayer

I thought about it some more and think maybe I'll root for any of the new guys from open wheel.

I've always liked it when R Gordon does well and have been trackside at several of J Villeneuve's indycar races back in early - mid 90s.

Don't know much about carpantier but love what I've seen of Johnny P last year. Thats a whole 'nother topic thread - the open wheel guys....
Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 PM

Started watching racing back in the 60's on the rare time ABC covered Daytona and can even remember listening the the Indy 500 on radio until it got picked up on TV. I've always liked mostly GM guys. Then I switched to the TransAM series and liked the Camaro's and Mark Donohue till he died. For NASCAR I've always favored GM drivers. Got to see Petty, Yarborough and the boys race a few times at MIS 1974-75 when we lived in MI. I did like a few independents like Kulwicki, but was basically an Earnhart fan (father and son) as well as DW. I've always liked Stewart for his spunkiness as well as talent. Now that he is on a Toyota team, he is off my radar... Gordon is probably one of the Cup's better drivers but I've never liked him, unless he is able to beat one of the non-GM brands. Never been a fan of either of the Busch Bros.

87 TType, XFI, 66-BB, Alky, MT DRs
11.0 @ 120
Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 PM
delinquent taxpayer

Agreed on the Busch bros - they haven't got one brain between the two of them
Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Nitro boy

I am a huge "Team Hendricks" fan. Against much taunting from friends, and co-workers, Jeff Gordon has always been my driver. There is soooo much talent in the Hendricks camp, and although I have never been much of an Ernhart fan, I am very happy for Jr.. He is surrounded by people who will give him his best shot at a championship. The 125 win was a great moment for Jr. and his new team, and I wish him the best.