TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Technical Forums > Buick Turbo Tech

Buick Turbo Tech General technical support for the 86-87 Buick turbo cars

Old 01-22-2011, 12:38 AM

Angry new turbo installation

I have recently installed a new Limit TA-49, new waste gate actuator, new 42lb injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and new HP fuel pump kit w/hot wire, have K&N set up, and 3" exaust, just replaced the radiator because last owner was cold and installed a brand new custom fit piece of cardboard in front of the radiator! I think the overheating is what fried the last turbo. I did adjust the new actuator to the same setting as the old one, not that it was right(according to the cardboard). Anyway, just took it for a ride and it is popping like crazy and hardly built any boost at all. Brought it home, let it idle and parked it and the turbo was super hot. Any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:09 PM
2 Lemon Ades...

Sounds like its overboosting.
I would check to make sure you vac line ( the Y hose) is attached and In good condition
Old 01-22-2011, 04:54 PM

Thanks, I did order the new vacuum Y and installed it with the new turbo, but it could have leaks elsewhere. Also after a fresh oil change my oil smells like old gas, wondering if more got damaged when it overheated and turbo went out.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 AM

personally i wouldnt put a piece of cardboard to block the radiator, secondyly i dont think the overheating "Blew" your turbo.... more likely a hedgasket, if anything.... thirdly w/o any kind of actual information – everything is just a shot in the dark... do you have any actual data [ie boost levels, engine temps, scanmaster numbers, AFR, BLM..... anything??] what gauges do you have?.... you say you installed new injectors.... do you have a new chip to go with it??? which one???

all these questions are important .... hth
Old 01-30-2011, 01:24 AM

I don't have a scan master, but boost level would rise to 10 , oil pressure at 60, engine temp at 160 degrees solid, fuel pressure at 40 while idling, ordered a Turbo Tweak Classic Chip v5.6 but it hasn't arrived yet, next step i guess would be a pressure test
Old 02-09-2011, 03:03 AM

Default Success!!!!!!

Installed new chip from TurboTweak, freaking AWESOME!! Car has never idled this well, Actually drove he car for about 20 min before spooling turbo, and then it spooled up like never before, Damn what a feeling. Made slow adjustments and so far boosting 16# and 46# fuel pressure. One thing i noticed if anyone reads this, my old chip had corrosion on it shorting 3 of the tabs on 1 leg, cleaned all that off with tiny screwdiver, contact cleaner, and air hose. Anyway, thanks for calling me out and sure to have more questions.