TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Team Cotton's Performance > Ask Jack
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Ask Jack The best place to find me for any reason

Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 PM

Default 1984 swap with 86-87 parts??

Hey everybody, im new to the buick world but not new to the turbo world,
I have an 84 GN that i picked up for a great deal with low mileage 55000 to be exact. I want to do a swap from the 86-87 with the intercooler and the goodies.
My question is, the block should be the same right? As far as i know they are the same but i want to make sure before i start rippin it apart. I have a lot of plans for this car and i want to do it right so with the help from you turbo buick fans, i might be able to make this happen....i mean, it WILL happen!
Plans are,
meet Jack Cotton
more fuel, more boost , more power and alllllll the good stuff.
Any recommendations appreciated..
Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Some of the late 85s had the same block as the intercooled 86-87s, but none of the 84s did, unless it has been replaced. You can still use it though. The only thing needed to be done to the block is you have to drill for the oil return.
See if you can find someone selling a whole kit with all of the parts needed for a conversion. Get the conversion done, but check with Jack on upgrade parts. You don't want to spend money on a fuel pump or turbo, and then replace it with a new one.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:19 PM

OK, That sounds easy enough, now the tough question, is there anybody on here getting rid of some of the parts i might need ie underhood wiring harness, ecm, etc etc.
I plan on purchasing the performance parts from Jack but i need the harness and ecm, accessory brackets

Last edited by spoolfool; 08-25-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:30 PM

Spoolfool,
Just some FYI as I'm doing the same swap as you. I have a 85 though. When you go to change the wiring harness you will have to remove the Pass side fender as GM put 2 (8 mm) bolts holding down a cover over the wiring harness boot on the firewall. You don't have to remove the heater box as I tried thinking I could get to everything. Wasted a bunch of time doing so. Good luck
Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolfool View Post
OK, That sounds easy enough, now the tough question, is there anybody on here getting rid of some of the parts i might need ie underhood wiring harness, ecm, etc etc.
I plan on purchasing the performance parts from Jack but i need the harness and ecm, accessory brackets
Talk to Jack before doing anything...He will give you some advice about some "do's" and "don't's". He might also have several parts (like the harness, ecm, brackets, etc...) that you'll need to make a correct, clean installation.
Good luck with your conversion!

Claude.
2012 Lincoln MKX
Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 AM

Jack/Brian,
Instead of drilling the block. Can a return line be run directly to the oil pan? Using a Flexible steel line say like a -8 AN fitting for flow. Maybe that is too big or small of line.

I figured since we are both doing the same conversion that I might as well ask any question here as we could both use the help in doing this swap the right way.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:58 AM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Yes, you can run the return to the oil pan if you want. Just make sure that it is above the oil level or else it won't drain properly.
As for the return size, I don't know, but I think I have heard of others using -10, but I'm not sure.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.