TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Team Cotton's Performance > Ask Jack
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Ask Jack The best place to find me for any reason

Old 03-30-2008, 11:48 PM

Default car stumbling

jack just got the car out of storageand it started breaking up and shutting off when i give it gas.i thought the ignition module was bad so i took it to auto zone and they checked it and said it was ok. checked the coil pack ( new 2yrs ago) and it is only showing 8.5, 8.4, 8.7. put old coil on and read 11.5, 11.6, last terminal doesnt read anything (thats why i replaced it ) i also checked the maf by tapping on it like i read on some of the forums and it stumbles most of the taps.(at 2000 rpms) anyway to be sure if its the coil or maf before buying new parts?
thanks mike s
Old 03-31-2008, 08:27 PM

Default coil

jack the auto zone near me claims the have a coil in stock for my car. they said it was a duralast brand. are they junk? i might run over and get it to see if the car runs and if that was the problem.
thanks mike skwarlo
jack the trans i got from you is running great,thanks for prodding eric for me.
ha ha ha !!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

In my experience, a bad coil pack won't give youthe symptoms that you have. It wouldn't cause the car to shut off.
A bad MAF on the other hand would. You said that you gave it the tap test. Do it at idle. Tap it with a screwdriver and see if it stalls or stumbles. It shouldn't do anything. You may have to run it for a while first to warm it a little to get a good result. I take it you don't have a spare to pop on there and test. Do you have anyone near you that could loan you one for test purposes?
A bad coil pack would kill two cylinders, not enough to make the engine die. Unless of course, you had two coils die at once. Not likely.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:29 PM

Default bad coil

i do not have anyone close by to swap. i was thinking the same thing. the car only dies if you floor it as its breaking up.i never seen a maf go bad so i was leaning toward coil or ignition but you may be right, the low readings across the terminals has me wondering also. the scan master is throwing no codes????
i wish there was a way of testing both before buying parts.
if its the maf i will not buy a stock one, i'll go with a tranlator or the new maf pro that is speed density. i'll talk to jack when i get to that part. any suggestions will be appreciated.
mike skwarlo
Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 PM

Default coil

after driving car around the block i let it sit for a couple hours and when i started the car i had black soot come out of each tail pipe and blacken the ground.
mike s
Old 04-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverT-PA View Post
after driving car around the block i let it sit for a couple hours and when i started the car i had black soot come out of each tail pipe and blacken the ground.
mike s
Hi Mike... sorry for the slow response.... good to see you up and about. Brian made a good p[oint about the MAF, you said it stumbles when you tap it at 2,000rpm.... try it at idle also. It does affect fueling. Also make sure you aren't overboosting, check the vac hoses between the wastegate and the solenoid...
Old 04-01-2008, 02:55 PM
2 Lemon Ades...

Dirty or gummed up IAC possibly ? If its an at Idle issue, considering it just came out of storage
Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Nitro boy

I for a fresh set of plugs!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:08 PM

Default car

changed plug and wires. i'am looking for a used maf if anyone has one ?
i talked to jack today and he said he'll look in the shop today, he also told me to make a post here for one incase he doesnt have one.
so if anyone has a good working used maf post here. i need a used one for now because jack has me talked into a fast or bank to bank system! ha ha ha
thanks mike skwarlo