TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Team Cotton's Performance > Ask Jack

Ask Jack The best place to find me for any reason

Old 11-29-2011, 04:47 PM

Default low oil pressure on rebuild

Hi Jack. I'll try to keep this short. Had my motor rebuilt 7 years ago from a local guy that is highly recommended. Just started it this past weekend. Life's been busy, however, I primed the motor, started right up and ran it for 20 min. for cam break-in. My oil pressure after the motor warmed up was at 20psi at 2,000 rpm. I still need to set my IAC but I'm concerned that the oil pressure is too low. I don't have a high volume oil pump. Does this seem low for oil pressure or is this normal for the buicks? THANKS

Andy C
Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 PM

From the factory, pressure was 10 psi at idle of about 1000 RPM and should increase by 10 PSI per 1000 RPM.

87 TType, XFI, 66-BB, Alky, MT DRs
11.0 @ 120
Old 12-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1987gn View Post
Hi Jack. I'll try to keep this short. Had my motor rebuilt 7 years ago from a local guy that is highly recommended. Just started it this past weekend. Life's been busy, however, I primed the motor, started right up and ran it for 20 min. for cam break-in. My oil pressure after the motor warmed up was at 20psi at 2,000 rpm. I still need to set my IAC but I'm concerned that the oil pressure is too low. I don't have a high volume oil pump. Does this seem low for oil pressure or is this normal for the buicks? THANKS

Andy C
Hmmm, it's on the edge, like Bob said those are the factory specs. The key is how does it respond to rpm's and does it rise up the ladder like Bob pointed out