TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Technical Forums > Turbochargers and related components

Turbochargers and related components Whats new, tech questions, what's your favorite and why... turbos, wastegates and boost controllers

Old 06-19-2008, 01:40 PM

Default i need a turbo recommendation

i have a 1989 TTA and the stock turbo is rusty and has a couple of chipped blades. the car is my daily driver but will see some track time. im trying to figure out which turbo would be best for me. ill be running 60lb fuel injectors, alky injection, and a 2800 stall.

recommendations?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Budget?
Desires?
Planning any other upgrades for the future?

Back in the day when I had the stock turbo, or close to it, the hot upgrades for stock were the TA49(stock appearing), and the TE44. Those turbos are still viable today, but there also have been lots of advancements. If you still want it as a daily driver, but want to roast the tires on command even from a roll, then you might want to spring for something with a ball bearing center. With that, you wouldn't have to upgrade your stall for a larger turbo. It costs a little more but balances out with the savings of not needing a new converter.
Best bet is to call Jack, and discuss what you want with him. He'll steer you in the right direction. He'll give you what you want without giving you something you don't need. Always has with me, except when I tell him and then I'm usually wrong.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:08 PM

i like the idea of a ball bearing turbo, but really dont know how much of a difference it makes. upgrading my stall is a logical move since my transmission is probably not going to hold up to much more power. im gonna be needing a reinforced one, and i might as well get a higher stall for better performance. besides, the stall would be free as i was promised a performance gift. (lucky me!) but yeah i dont know what i could get away with, with a 2800 stall. i guess ill give him a call.

oh yeah, budget isnt much of a concern. preferably not much over $1200 or $1300. but id consider higher.
desires, i want something thatll give me good power on the street and at the track. if someone comes up to me in a fast car on the street, id like more of a chance than i have now so in less words, decent street performance with good track performance too, some sort of balance favoring street use.
other upgrades would be ported heads and a performance cam in the future. im not exactly sure what else i would do.

Last edited by echostatic; 06-19-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Well, Jack talked me into a ball bearing 66 some time back, and I have a 9" non-LU converter with somewhere North of 3000 stall. With both of those, the spool up is UNBELIEVABLE! If you don't want to be caught off gaurd, then a ball bearing would do wonders, and would fit into your budget. According to Jack's store, one can be had for about 11 bills. If you just want a decent street turbo, then you can get one for just over 8.

11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waGoN View Post
Well, Jack talked me into a ball bearing 66 some time back, and I have a 9" non-LU converter with somewhere North of 3000 stall. With both of those, the spool up is UNBELIEVABLE! If you don't want to be caught off gaurd, then a ball bearing would do wonders, and would fit into your budget. According to Jack's store, one can be had for about 11 bills. If you just want a decent street turbo, then you can get one for just over 8.
he wasnt in when i called so ill call him tomorrow.

im getting precisions vigilante 9.5" 5 plate lock up converter for my car. i really want a BB turbo... i dunno how big of a difference the spool would be with a bb66 with my more conservative stall, hopefully not much.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:19 AM
Long Roofs are sexy!

It'll be much better than a non bb of the same size.

Like I said, I have a 66bb, and it spools like crazy, but I do have some other stuff done to it. The bb did make a huge difference though. It spools alot faster than the 62 that I had before it (nonbb)

Old 06-20-2008, 07:00 PM

i was recommended a BB60 or 61. now i gotta figure out which one of those is best...
Old 06-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Tell Jack to send you the BB60, and you can have it installed and be playing in no time. That will save you $100 over the 61 BB, that you can put towards some new rubber.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waGoN View Post
Tell Jack to send you the BB60, and you can have it installed and be playing in no time. That will save you $100 over the 61 BB, that you can put towards some new rubber.
more likely to go to a new transmission. theres one here... http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata....php?ITEMID=13 looks pretty nice. bit pricey tho. gonna need all the cash i can get.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostatic View Post
more likely to go to a new transmission. theres one here... http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata....php?ITEMID=13 looks pretty nice. bit pricey tho. gonna need all the cash i can get.
Not a good choice.. unless they build specifically for your model car, chances of it working are very slim if at all. Also, your TTA trans is a completely different animal. The only trans you can safely interchange with your car, is a Grand National. Same goes for the convertor.....