TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Technical Forums > Buick Turbo Tech

Buick Turbo Tech General technical support for the 86-87 Buick turbo cars

Old 11-01-2010, 02:14 AM

Default new to this forum/ car falls flat

Hi I am new to this forum. also new to the turbo buick. my car is 87 GN. have installed a scanmaster, walbro 340 fuel pump w/hot wire kit. another set of stock injectors and a custom chip to match, k&n air filter set up, adjustable fuel pressure reg. The problem i have been chasing since i bought the car was a bad bog coming off an idle.with these new parts that is gone but now the car falls flat on its face just before it shifts into second gear. the boost seems to max out at 10lbs (replace the boost guage too)while this is happening the scanmaster always reads 4-6 degrees of retard. i will have to report the complete set of numbers from the scanmaster but i have noticed that the o2 flutuates alot but does spend alot of time at or above 800.my area is Worcester Ma so i do know you're close.Does anyone have any thought with what i got for info. will report back with a full set of numbers
thanks
Paul
Old 11-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by phagen28 View Post
Hi I am new to this forum. also new to the turbo buick. my car is 87 GN. have installed a scanmaster, walbro 340 fuel pump w/hot wire kit. another set of stock injectors and a custom chip to match, k&n air filter set up, adjustable fuel pressure reg. The problem i have been chasing since i bought the car was a bad bog coming off an idle.with these new parts that is gone but now the car falls flat on its face just before it shifts into second gear. the boost seems to max out at 10lbs (replace the boost guage too)while this is happening the scanmaster always reads 4-6 degrees of retard. i will have to report the complete set of numbers from the scanmaster but i have noticed that the o2 flutuates alot but does spend alot of time at or above 800.my area is Worcester Ma so i do know you're close.Does anyone have any thought with what i got for info. will report back with a full set of numbers
thanks
Paul
Welcome Paul, yep, you are plenty close enough to the shop should you want to take a ride. As for the chip, whose chip is it and was it burnt for the combo you currently have? Have you done the basic tuneup work, plugs, wires, check the coil and module, clean the IAC and reset...
Old 11-04-2010, 01:27 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have got the simple stuff with regard to tuneup new plugs and wires(altho thats kinda what the miss feels like) pre turbo days with a point type dist and a bad plug. the chip(not sure whose it is) was supposed to be burned for stock inj and the cold air kit. I had it put in for me by a local guy here and am second guessing my trust in him now that he still cant get rid of this problem.says maybe i need a FAST system. I didnt say before but this does have a new module. have not done anything with IAC, but can with a little instruction.Also what can i do to check out the coil,cause like I said the power and pull really drops off severely before the 2nd gear shift,although because the scanmaster shows a little retard, I get right off it. I dont really know what it will do if i stayed in it.might go thru it or maybe not. what do i have to do to get a full set of numbers that you could use to help me out of the scanmaster. If you think I need another chip burned that I can be confident in, I'm open to that.
thanks for any help and advice you can give.
Paul
Old 11-06-2010, 06:24 PM

i got 2 sets of numbers out of the scanmaster.maybe this will add some more info
idling in park i got 1150 rpm in park footbrake on
02 = 738 02 = 430-597
kr = 00 kr = 00
AF = 04 AF = 15
L8 = 34 L8 = 68
BAE = 14.3 BAE = 14
INT = 128 INT = 132
BL = 128 BL = 124
mph = 0 mph = 0
CLE =162 CLE 165
ATS = 63 ATS = 75
RPM = 775 RPM = 1150
TPS = .30 TPS = .54
IAC = 35 IAC = 71
CC = 27 CC = 73
again tho the problem is a bad loss of power and pull just before the shift into 2nd gear. I am hoping these number will be able to help someone give me some direction to go in with this
thanks very much to anybody that can help me out
Paul
Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 AM

I thought my numbers would come out in 2 columns.
the first column was at idle and even though the columns came out pushed together, the other numbers are just off idle. i have now corrected the key on- engine off adjustment of the TPS to .42 and WOT is now 460. so now the idling TPS reading is .44. now this has a very bad miss under heavy acceleration.can't hear any noise, just a very very bad miss
Old 11-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Married Man

Tps read .30 at idle the way I saw it, needs to be .42-.46 at idle and the WOT needs to be 4.75 or higher.. but I really don't see that as your problem. I would like to know who burned the chip... and exactly when did you develope the problem, what did you do pryor to it skipping. If it ran fine what did you touch... what kind of spark plug and gap?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 PM

i have now set the TPS to .42 w/key on engine off.that gives it .44 at idle running.my WOT measure is 460. can i change that by pushing the bottom of the TPS adj a little? i think my missing is really more noticeable with the TPS where it is now than it was at .30.
this chip says TT 5.6. along side that it says 5628.
next line says 28# street 93
then the last line says 20 degrees- 18 degrees then on the right side bottom line it says 16-18 psi. all of this is hand written in pen.I guess i did get the chip i thought i was getting. keep in mind my aftermarket boost gauge only moves up to 10 psi and never goes any further.
when i bought this car it always had a bog just coming off idle as well as the miss that it still has (but to a lesser degree) the last thing done to the car prior to my noticing the miss was worse was the fuel pump and hot wire kit.when i brought the car home on the way it seemed to run fine all around.so much so that I told myself "i'd better be more careful now" no knock retard or any sign of the miss. the next day is when i noticed it missing on the shift so bad.by the way the original bog coming off idle is entirely gone now.
lasty the spark plugs in it are still looking like new.they are AC Delco p/n R44TS gapped to .42. i pulled the spark plug wires off the coil tonight and i really dont see any trace marks from any arching happening. do you think maybe i just have a bad coil? looks orig as does the part that it connects onto. i'm terriblly sorry that this is so long but i am just trying to give an answer to your every question and as much detail as i can see.
thanks again Jack
Paul
Old 11-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Way to wide a gap on those plugs. Regap them to a tight 32 and see if that helps.

87 TType, XFI, 66-BB, Alky, MT DRs
11.0 @ 120
Old 11-08-2010, 11:11 PM

regapped the plugs to a tight .032 in. have rechecked the IAC to be 20 at idle. tps is 44 at idle, and double checked fuel pressure at idle with vac. line off regulator and plugged. pressure is 43lbs. i will have to wait to try it till the roads are dry. it has rained with snow mix here all day. i will report the status as soon as i can.
i do have another question with regard to the TPS. should it move SMOOTH AND STEADY when depressing the gas pedal? such as a measure of 44,45,46,47.48 and so on up to the 460 that i have at WOT? because mine goes more like 44,50,66,90,140,200,and so on up to 460.this is with the scanmaster set to TPS and depressing the pedal while watching the S/M
thank you
Paul
Old 11-13-2010, 09:44 PM

Ok finally got back out in the car. With the regapped plugs the skip before the 1-2 shift is fixed,(more power now than anytime since I've had the car) thanks.I had already ordered a new wastegate solenoid from GM, locally. I ordered and put in GM p/n 1997227. which is listed for a deisel truck. made a plug adapter for it that would fit the male pins on the factory plug and then go on to the new sol. which also has 2 pins. I have also ordered an already made up adapter harness.this now gives me 14-15 lbs of boost now getting no K/R most times and maybe 1.2 deg some other times.as well as my question about the TPS on my prev post, I also wonder why I would get a different reading from the IAC sometimes.(always warmed up to 160 deg at idle). had it set to 20 with the TPS set to .44 with key on engine off, ran the car to work and came home, checked the numbers again when I got home and had IAC reading of 46. does this indicate that it needs cleaning and/or maybe a new one.
thanks for any advice
Paul