TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Technical Forums > Buick Turbo Tech

Buick Turbo Tech General technical support for the 86-87 Buick turbo cars

Old 05-08-2010, 10:12 PM

Default Wiring Harness Question

I'm new to this forum and hoping that I can get some help as I'm in the process up grading my 85 to a 87 IC. I bought a 87 motor with just about everything.

Was wondering which wiring harness should I use. I have the wiring harness for the 87. I don't have the ECM or the coil pack though.

Also I noticed that there are 3 relays that mount to the driver side fender well are those for the power master brake system?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Scott
Old 05-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Wink

If you are converting to an 87 setup, then definitely go with the 87 harness. One of the relays is the timer relay for the fan. I think one is for the fuel pump, and the other???? Beats me.
You can pick up the parts that you need, like the ecm and coil pack. Hey, Jack may even have an ecm kicking around, and the coil pack and module, you can still buy new.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Thanks,
Brian Is there anything else major that I'm looking at. I'm guessing that the 87 had electric fans do to the relay. I've read that you can get coil packs from a fwd 3800 donnor car. Is this true that you now of.

Jack if you have an ECM kicking around how much?

Thanks for the help I know I'll be needing more as I move forward with this project.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Yes, they have an electric fan. Some people buy dual fans to put in them. So, you can either go that route, or you can look for someone that has done this and is selling their single.
As for the coil pack. Yes, you can get the coil packs from a 3800 wrong wheel drive car. Some people like to do it this way, because they believe that they are better than the stock ones. Also, they are separate coils, so if one goes, it is cheaper to replace. BUT, I think that some people have had issues with them. Not everyone, but I have heard that some people have had issues, and blamed that setup. Also, you will need a mounting plate adapter, and maybe a wiring adapter.
I haven't done an 85 to 87 conversion.....yet, so I don't know what else is involved. There are a few people around that will sell you a whole "kit" to convert. If you already have the engine, then you don't need the whole kit, but they can point you in the right direction and possibly supply the parts too. Jack of course has done a couple of these conversions, so he'd definitely be able to help you out. I do know that the 87 has the fuel filter out back near the tank, and the 85 has it in the engine compartment. I am not sure what people do about that. When I do mine, I am just going to replace all of the fuel lines with stainless 87 replacements, so that won't be an issue.
Gotta go. The wife is getting attacked by the puppy. Actually, the broom she is sweeping with is.

11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:16 PM

Brian,
Thanks for the info. When you say I need a mounting bracket for the coil packs is this something that has a plug to it or is just for supporting the coil packs. Can I make one of these. I'm a cnc programmer/ machinist and I do have access to equipment. I was thinking billet mounting bracket.

I appericate you taking the time to answer my question and piont me in the right direction. I'm swaping out my wire harness tonight per your suggestion.

Thanks again

Scott
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

The mounting bracket is just that. A bracket. If you are a machinist, then it won't be any problem for you. There is an upside down 'U' bracket that bolts to the manifold with two bolts, and then one bolt goes through the plate that the coil pack mounts on. Then that plate also mounts to two of the doghouse (upper plenum) bolts. Of course, if you are making your own, then you can mount it anywhere you want, even the windshield. Just make sure that it gets grounded GOOD.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionsgn View Post
I'm new to this forum and hoping that I can get some help as I'm in the process up grading my 85 to a 87 IC. I bought a 87 motor with just about everything.

Was wondering which wiring harness should I use. I have the wiring harness for the 87. I don't have the ECM or the coil pack though.

Also I noticed that there are 3 relays that mount to the driver side fender well are those for the power master brake system?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Scott

Thansk Brian,,, nice to see you.... my brother!!

Scott, welcome,

The 3 relays are the high, low and delay relays for the cooling fan. If you need the coil pack and module, I suggest getting a good used or new AC Delco, module and coil pack. We should have some good used brackets to mount them if you need them. Definitely use the 87 harness. Hope this helps,
Old 05-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Married Man

Yes to the stock computor, I should have one. Make up a list of what you need and give us a call if you'd like... thanks again
Old 05-12-2010, 02:02 PM

Brian Again thanks for the info.

Jack I will be getting a list together and calling.

Thanks again,

Scott