TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Technical Forums > Buick Turbo Tech
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Buick Turbo Tech General technical support for the 86-87 Buick turbo cars

Old 04-11-2008, 02:38 PM

Default New GN....finally

New to the site and have been looking for a GN since I got rid of my Cobra last February. Just picked it up Wednesday(87) and its been sitting for a bit. Price was right, and needs some TLC. Doesn't like to stay running when cold, smooths out a bit once its warm. If I can't figure it out, i'm 3 miles from Jack, so that makes me feel good
Old 04-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Nitro boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecobra98 View Post
New to the site and have been looking for a GN since I got rid of my Cobra last February. Just picked it up Wednesday(87) and its been sitting for a bit. Price was right, and needs some TLC. Doesn't like to stay running when cold, smooths out a bit once its warm. If I can't figure it out, i'm 3 miles from Jack, so that makes me feel good
Your very lucky! Don't forget to swing by the Dunkin Donuts and pick him up a cup of coffee (and some sweets).
Old 04-12-2008, 12:42 AM

they say every man has his price.....that's getting off cheap
Old 04-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Nitro boy

Quote:
To try and answer your question, remove and clean the IAC (idle air control) valve. It sits under the throttle blade at the front of the throttle body. There is a 4 prong plug which attaches to it. Some good carb cleaner should work fine. Report back after you do this. Do you have a scan tool?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:30 PM

the scanmaster will be my first purchase. I believe the drivers header is cracked too. when it builds boost, the boost gauge quickly maxes out( i know they aren't terribly accurate) then I hear a fluttering sound fromthe drivers side. I drove it around today for the first time, so I was easy on it. i will try the IAC though. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:59 PM

Cleaned IAC this am. Was definitely caked with crap. Throttle body was nasty too. After I did that it started right up, not wanting to die out. Once I gave it some gas to see if it would break up, it stalled out on me. Driving it, it was still choppy and idles up and down. Thanks for the info though. Starts up much better now, just have to work on the rest. Also, the hoses going to the throttle body fromt he intercooler were covered in what looked like oil. Is this normal?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Nitro boy

The IAC may be bad/worn. you'll need a scan tool to verfy counts. Definitely check ALL your vacume hoses/connections for deterioration, cracks, and hardness. Also, if you car has a smaller than stock convertor ( and the tune hasn't been corrected ), it will cause a stall condition as you have described.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:44 PM

Met "The Man" today and bought a scanmaster. I should have it hooked up soon, and get some readings so I can make sense of the shitty running. Talked with him for almost an hour, showed me his shop and what not. Great guy to talk to and what a personality......funny,funny dude. I'm lucky to live this close to him. Thanks Jack
Old 04-16-2008, 12:20 AM

failed emissions miserably today. nox emissions were 2 high, but im not surprised. it has been sitting for almost 2 yrs. i guess i'd better hook up that scanmaster
Old 04-16-2008, 01:30 AM
I can't drive 55!

Quote:
failed emissions miserably today. nox emissions were 2 high, but im not surprised. it has been sitting for almost 2 yrs. i guess i'd better hook up that scanmaster
Hey it's Michael, I was on the phone with Jack while you were there. NOx? Sounds like it could be a bad egr valve or heavy carbon build up, or both. That could also explain the stalling too.

p.s. Was my car really in the shop
87 GN, RPE built 109 stroked, RJC girdle, billet main caps, custom comp roller cam, Champion ported aluminum heads, Champion aluminum intake, T&D 1.65 rockers, 96 lb injectors, Accufab 70mm throttle body RJC pullies, RJC A/C bracket,GTK-850, ATR headers,Deeds electronic boost controller, Cotton’s 4 inch down pipe w/ Turbonetics RG 45 gate, XFI, Cotton’s front mount, Level 10 built 400 trans w/brake, Converter? ,33 spline Moser axles, Spool, HR bar.

New best 9.44 @ 143!