TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > COTTONSPERFORMANCE.COM > The Lounge
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Lounge A place we can all just hang and shoot it..

Old 12-11-2008, 12:51 AM

Unhappy New Massachusetts law...

Jack, I just saw this post on http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/forum...ad.php?t=23131 about some new laws on emissions testing in Massachusetts and I thought I'd let you know...(Doesn't look really good... )...Were you aware of that?...

Claude.

P.S: What is a "green plate" ?
2012 Lincoln MKX
Old 12-11-2008, 12:08 PM

for our cars we don't need to worry too much about it....they just plug the OBD II connector in to read for codes....ours don't have them...the visual inspection will still be required for the cat, i'm sure....if your car is smoking out the tailpipes they can use the probe to determine the problem...this change should save a ton of time in line for the inspections, seeing as the dyno won't be utilized anymore....i guess i'll find out in April when I go for mine
Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 PM
army veteran

I have been doing low enhanced emissions testing in upstate ny for several years now and as far as our cars are concerned it is just a visual inspection i.e. converter,egr valve,gas fill restricter,gas cap,ect..1996 and up vehicles with obd2 connectors will be plugged into the inspection machine and readiness monitors will be checked. if no service engine soon light on and monitors are set vehicle passes. the government feels the vehicle is smart enough to know if it is running clean or within set parameters.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Married Man

Hi Claude, I knew there were new laws, no more emmissions for us, thats the important one. As for exhaust... not so sure anyone is pushing that unless it is plain loud..

Chris..... he's gonna look the other way... specially after we install our super duper quiet 2.5SS exhaust...

Rod... thanks for the input... now if I could just get Willies car back to him..
Old 12-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

I talked with one of the inspectors a while ago, and he said that just what most have said. 96 and up are tested. They are OBDII and will just get plugged in and they look for trouble codes. No dyno. The 95 and down? Well, they have the visual, and I'm sure that is based on who you go to. They pulled the dynos out, and won't be testing them. The reasoning behind it was that there aren't that many on the road to warrant the expensive testing equipment.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCotton1 View Post
Hi Claude, I knew there were new laws, no more emmissions for us, thats the important one. As for exhaust... not so sure anyone is pushing that unless it is plain loud..

Chris..... he's gonna look the other way... specially after we install our super duper quiet 2.5SS exhaust...

Rod... thanks for the input... now if I could just get Willies car back to him..
he better
Old 12-11-2008, 05:17 PM
army veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waGoN View Post
I talked with one of the inspectors a while ago, and he said that just what most have said. 96 and up are tested. They are OBDII and will just get plugged in and they look for trouble codes. No dyno. The 95 and down? Well, they have the visual, and I'm sure that is based on who you go to. They pulled the dynos out, and won't be testing them. The reasoning behind it was that there aren't that many on the road to warrant the expensive testing equipment.
if codes are in memory and no ses light vehicle still passes and also some codes unrelated to emissions, vehicle passes also. also do not reset KAM because that will reset monitors and thats a whole other story! thats what the insp. machine looks at.a drive cycle would have to be performed to set monitors to ready.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post

P.S: What is a "green plate" ?
A "green plate" is one of the older plates. Back in the '80s, they switched from 2 white plates with red letters to a single plate with green letters. They have since gone back to running two plates. If you had the green plate, you were allowed to keep it. It looks like now you will have to upgrade to the newer two plates. Although, the inspector that I talked to said that as long as you could read it, you got to keep it. We'll see, because I have a single plate on one of my cars, and my wife has one on hers.

11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:58 AM

Hey!

The wife and I each have a car with green plates.

The plates are in pretty good shape, and both cars passed inspection this year with no problem.

You do see some out there that are so weathered you can barely read them.

It's also true that some inspectors are more strict than others.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

That's true, but the inspector that I spoke to said that the registry told them all that they would be spying on them to make sure that they don't cheat. They actually told them this. Maybe they told them so that they didn't have to actually do it, and were hoping that just scaring inspectors would work.