TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Team Cotton's Performance > Ask Jack

Ask Jack The best place to find me for any reason

Old 10-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Yes, but make sure you add the oil additive that has zinc in it. (ZDDP plus, or something like) that. The oil made nowadays doesn't have the zinc in it that it used to, and it has caused some problems with non-roller cams. AND, the Buick has had problems with these 3.8 blocks also. Those two, coupled with stronger valve springs might do your cam in.
Most people have said that the factory cam doesn't have problems, but why take chances? Oh, and if you go with a new cam, I highly recommend going roller. It is worth the extra couple of bucks.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCotton1 View Post
Hi Glen, welcome. I see my boys have been talkin for me, they're the best!!! Thanks Guys. I would recommend you get the Accufab reg we carry for your car. It's the best out there... with that.. got to run...
thanks so much,
Hey Jack, just wondering if everything got shipped out like you expected this week? Could you please let me know when I should expect delivery?

Thanks, Glen
Old 10-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Crisp View Post
Hey Jack, just wondering if everything got shipped out like you expected this week? Could you please let me know when I should expect delivery?

Thanks, Glen
Yes Glen, shipped out, I just checked the tracking, delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. Very sorry about the delays, seems we been slammed lately, but we are back on top!!

thanks much...
Old 10-15-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waGoN View Post
Yes, but make sure you add the oil additive that has zinc in it. (ZDDP plus, or something like) that. The oil made nowadays doesn't have the zinc in it that it used to, and it has caused some problems with non-roller cams. AND, the Buick has had problems with these 3.8 blocks also. Those two, coupled with stronger valve springs might do your cam in.
Most people have said that the factory cam doesn't have problems, but why take chances? Oh, and if you go with a new cam, I highly recommend going roller. It is worth the extra couple of bucks.
I will try and stay out of the engine until I have no choice. I just finished going through my 67 camaro’s small block and it was kind of pricey. Anyways it sounds like the Turbo upgrade is the best bang for the buck. Can you guy’s recommend one of Cotton’s Turbos for my semi stock application? I don’t have a problem changing out the torque converter for a little more stall if it is necessary.

Thanks Glen
Old 10-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Yes Glen, shipped out, I just checked the tracking, delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. Very sorry about the delays, seems we been slammed lately, but we are back on top!!

thanks much...
Thanks. i will keep a look out for it!
Old 10-17-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:

thanks much...
Hey Jack, got the regulator and the injectors but no chip. Could you please check on it? Was it coming from your address? Thanks Glen
Old 10-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

I believe Jack is in Oklahoma this weekend tuning on some cars. Your best bet would be to call the shop if you have an issue with an order. He may not have internet access. I think he'll be back on Monday, but a call works best.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:33 AM

Thanks, I will do that!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:31 AM

Hey Jack, Got the chip and installed the regulator and injectors. Anyways I set the pressure at 43psi on the fuel rail and went through the setup per the instructions. The car runs better at idle but I am only getting 13-14 psi of boost at WOT. Any ideas?

Thanks again, Glen
Old 10-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Nitro boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Crisp View Post
Hey Jack, Got the chip and installed the regulator and injectors. Anyways I set the pressure at 43psi on the fuel rail and went through the setup per the instructions. The car runs better at idle but I am only getting 13-14 psi of boost at WOT. Any ideas?

Thanks again, Glen
Glenn, assuming your boost gauge is working properly, you might want to check for any exhaust leaks ahead of the turbo. Cracked headers are common with these cars, and often don't show themselves ( noise wise ) @ idle. Look at all weld joints where the primaries meet the main log. I like to start the engine cold and quickly feel around these areas for exhaust pressure. If everything is fine, you should look at the wastegate. The spring could be weak from age, or the diaphram could be torn and not be keeping proper pressure on the wastegate puck. Then there is the boost solenoid ect--------but start with exhaust leaks first. Brian