TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > COTTONSPERFORMANCE.COM > The Lounge

The Lounge A place we can all just hang and shoot it..

Old 09-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Nitro boy

Default Michael

Hows the ride coming along? That GTK can really push some air---huh!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM
I can't drive 55!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHynes View Post
Hows the ride coming along? That GTK can really push some air---huh!
Man, word tavels fast! Yeah, it pushes it pretty hard!

Time to leave the boost @24psi!

The motor has about 30-35 passes on it and most of them were 9 second runs. My hats off to Jack, Brian and Bobby. I was pushing the envelope with 30 psi. This is the first time I have even had to really touch anything with it since I got it back from Jack. (besides changing the oil and spark plugs)

Pretty sure the last time I went to E-town is when the gasket started to go. That 9.44 @143 was the begining of the end. Heck, it still ran a 9.66 @ 30 psi and a 9.86 @ 24 psi before she went totally on Saturday!

Before....

A couple hours later Monday night.....

I found the problem!!

87 GN, RPE built 109 stroked, RJC girdle, billet main caps, custom comp roller cam, Champion ported aluminum heads, Champion aluminum intake, T&D 1.65 rockers, 96 lb injectors, Accufab 70mm throttle body RJC pullies, RJC A/C bracket,GTK-850, ATR headers,Deeds electronic boost controller, Cotton’s 4 inch down pipe w/ Turbonetics RG 45 gate, XFI, Cotton’s front mount, Level 10 built 400 trans w/brake, Converter? ,33 spline Moser axles, Spool, HR bar.

New best 9.44 @ 143!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Married Man

yep..... ouch!! Looks just like the real thing. check the block good around the studs.. give me a jing when you can...
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 PM

Red face

Mike...Yep, without a doubt, you found it!... Now the question is: will you be able to have it fixed in time for the Cecil County event" ? Also was there damage other than the head gasket (hopefully no!) ?

Claude.
2012 Lincoln MKX
Old 09-09-2009, 11:43 PM
I can't drive 55!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
Mike...Yep, without a doubt, you found it!... Now the question is: will you be able to have it fixed in time for the Cecil County event" ? Also was there damage other than the head gasket (hopefully no!) ?

Claude.
Just got all the gaskets at the door step today from Jack! Everything else looked ok, I just gotta clean up all the surfaces and double check for anything out of the ordinary. Other than that I should have it running by Saturday.

We can't wait for Cecil. I got the transfer switch ordered for the motorhome generator so we won't have to use that insanely noisy one! It did keep everyone else away though....

Were you guys going to be able to make it to Cecil?
87 GN, RPE built 109 stroked, RJC girdle, billet main caps, custom comp roller cam, Champion ported aluminum heads, Champion aluminum intake, T&D 1.65 rockers, 96 lb injectors, Accufab 70mm throttle body RJC pullies, RJC A/C bracket,GTK-850, ATR headers,Deeds electronic boost controller, Cotton’s 4 inch down pipe w/ Turbonetics RG 45 gate, XFI, Cotton’s front mount, Level 10 built 400 trans w/brake, Converter? ,33 spline Moser axles, Spool, HR bar.

New best 9.44 @ 143!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbochrgd1 View Post
Were you guys going to be able to make it to Cecil?
I dunno Mike...I'd definitely like to go, but it's quite a ride from 16 miles west of Montreal all the way to Maryland, just to watch and not participating! ...besides, I'm expecting Jack to call me before the end of this month (hopefully!) to pick up my GN so I can drive it a little to "break it in" before storing it for the winter...

Good luck at Cecil County!...

Claude.

P.S: What DATE is it going to be?...
2012 Lincoln MKX
Old 09-12-2009, 01:36 AM
I can't drive 55!

Default Well, caught a snag.....

Quote:
Also was there damage other than the head gasket (hopefully no!) ?
Me and my big mouth!!!

Started cleaning the surfaces of the block tonight, everything looked good. I went to go and start cleaning the heads up and Eddie noticed a cracks in the d/s head where the header bolts up.

Well, I got about 5 weeks until Cecil. All I can say is HELP!!!!

New best 9.44 @ 143!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:36 PM

Not to many have gone as fast as you with out finding a weak link. 4 head bolts per cylinder does suck doesn't it.

Best of luck to you guys getting it fixed up in time for your next event.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

That's only where the header bolts up, so I wouldn't think that it is that critical. Just get it welded up and throw it back on. Of course, that is after thoroughly checking for more cracks of course in more critical areas.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:58 PM
I can't drive 55!

I spoke to Tom this morning and we agreed that I was going to put studs in that head.

Just so everyone knows, that head has been heli-coiled previously. That is more than likely why this had happened. There is enough room in the hole that I can double up heli-coils and put a stud in there. For now this is my best option, and should not be a problem.

Thanks to Jack and Tom for there guidance and expertise. As always it is much appreciated.

Jack, btw, please send me the stud kit and charge my card on file.

I do have studs in the passanger side head, so I only need the d/s. If its sold as a set that's fine too.

Thanks!!!

Cecil here we come!! Can't wait for some cool weather, and a fast track. We'll see what 24 psi brings us....

New best 9.44 @ 143!