TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Technical Forums > Buick Turbo Tech

Buick Turbo Tech General technical support for the 86-87 Buick turbo cars

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 PM
turbopowered68's Avatar
turbopowered68 turbopowered68 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18
Default Tapping sound - lifters? Rockers?

i am having a annoying tapping sound.
could it be the rockers?
When the valve is in the closed position is there suppose to be any clearance between the rocker and the valve?
i also have a few lifters that bleed out really fast, What can/should i do about this? new lifters? leave it alone?
Maybe not having any pre-load on the lifters is causing the bleed out?
Also how do i pre-load the the valves that are loose? New rockers? Longer push rods?
thanks for your help

Stock long block 165K Miles
__________________
1968 LC2 Powered Chevelle
Best time a 11.74 @ 114
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-16-2010, 05:04 PM
JCotton1's Avatar
JCotton1 JCotton1 is offline
Married Man
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Paradise
Posts: 1,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopowered68 View Post
i am having a annoying tapping sound.
could it be the rockers?
When the valve is in the closed position is there suppose to be any clearance between the rocker and the valve?
i also have a few lifters that bleed out really fast, What can/should i do about this? new lifters? leave it alone?
Maybe not having any pre-load on the lifters is causing the bleed out?
Also how do i pre-load the the valves that are loose? New rockers? Longer push rods?
thanks for your help

Stock long block 165K Miles
Is it a stock top end, heads, cam and rockers? If so, there should not be any play between the rockers and valve.
__________________
Jack Cotton
Cottons Performance
413-789-0531
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
turbopowered68's Avatar
turbopowered68 turbopowered68 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCotton1 View Post
Is it a stock top end, heads, cam and rockers? If so, there should not be any play between the rockers and valve.
yes its a stock long block.

OK assuming there is play between the rockers and Valves/pushrods
What should be the next step in correcting it?
thanks for the help.
__________________
1968 LC2 Powered Chevelle
Best time a 11.74 @ 114
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-31-2010, 12:31 PM
turbopowered68's Avatar
turbopowered68 turbopowered68 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18
Default

To The Top
__________________
1968 LC2 Powered Chevelle
Best time a 11.74 @ 114
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM
JCotton1's Avatar
JCotton1 JCotton1 is offline
Married Man
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Paradise
Posts: 1,434
Default

adjustable rockers and or longer push rods...
__________________
Jack Cotton
Cottons Performance
413-789-0531
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-2010, 12:22 PM
brisbon brisbon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopowered68 View Post
To The Top
Injectors can be noisey, what type of oil are you using? If i switch from 5w20 to 20w50 then the lifters make a racket untill the top end is supplied after about 45sec to a min from starting it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-2010, 03:23 AM
turbopowered68's Avatar
turbopowered68 turbopowered68 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbon View Post
Injectors can be noisey, what type of oil are you using? If i switch from 5w20 to 20w50 then the lifters make a racket untill the top end is supplied after about 45sec to a min from starting it.
i am using 10w40 with ZDDPLUS
__________________
1968 LC2 Powered Chevelle
Best time a 11.74 @ 114
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.