TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Technical Forums > Transmissions and Torque Converters

Transmissions and Torque Converters Tranny and torque converter tech support

Old 10-24-2008, 03:42 AM

Default 200-4R to a 400Turbo...

I bought a 400 turbo trans yesterday, I'm up in the air if I want to use it or not... It needs a build, but I'm planning on doing a reverse manual vb with a trans brake... I just don't know how much I'll miss my full auto, OD, and lock up converter...
Who has done the swap?
How bad is the car driving down the highway with a 3200-3600ish stall, stock 3.42 gears, and 28" tall tires???
I like the idea of a manual valve body(I'm sure that will get old fast) with a trans brake, but I don't want to lose the streetability/fun factor of my car. It has ET Streets on it all day every day, I drive it alot, but usually only local, never in bad weather, and it's ran hard everytime I take it out... Usually I'm in a 10 mile radius, but I do like drive it to the track and race it which is only 25 miles from my house... I guess I could just do it and hold onto my 200-4R for a while so I could go back if I wanted to... The car "should" be in the 10's on pump gas, so a "cheap and strong" trans is a great idea...lol... Right now I have a fresh, "built" 200-4R with a 3200 vigilante lock up converter, I've got $2000 in the trans and converter and I don't even have any billet parts yet...lol... Let me know what you think... Thanks, Gavin
Old 10-24-2008, 03:43 AM

Also, what are some converter recommendations from you guys that have 400's???
Old 10-26-2008, 12:38 AM
I can't drive 55!

I had about a half dozen 200's rebuilt and I have broken them in various ways. My car is no longer a "street car" so to speak, but I hope this helps a little. I have a 400 with a reverse manual valve body and a Neil Chance bolt together converter. I know that I have never had a problem with it except when I sheared my ring gear in half and broke the drive shaft and input shaft in the trans. I think if you want longevity the 400 is the way to go. Of course another big factor is who builds your transmission. From the way it sounds you drive your car I think you would have fun driving the car with a manual valve body.
87 GN, RPE built 109 stroked, RJC girdle, billet main caps, custom comp roller cam, Champion ported aluminum heads, Champion aluminum intake, T&D 1.65 rockers, 96 lb injectors, Accufab 70mm throttle body RJC pullies, RJC A/C bracket,GTK-850, ATR headers,Deeds electronic boost controller, Cotton’s 4 inch down pipe w/ Turbonetics RG 45 gate, XFI, Cotton’s front mount, Level 10 built 400 trans w/brake, Converter? ,33 spline Moser axles, Spool, HR bar.

New best 9.44 @ 143!
Old 10-26-2008, 02:55 AM

THANK YOU!!! That is something that I've really been thinking about, I drive the car, I enjoy the speed, and when I take it out I'm usually planning on getting some adrenaline flowing...lol... I guess I'll have to put a tach in the car now, but other than that it seems like a good idea...lol... I think I'll hold onto my 200 for a while, just in case, but I doubt it'll ever go back in if I do go for the swap...
Old 10-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Married Man

Whatever works for ya Gavin..... some guys insist on the 200r... but until you try the 400, you will never know whether it works for you. Trying it now while hangin onto the 200r gives you options. You will need to get a shorter driveshaft, new slip joint for the 400 and a new trans mount. As well as a new shifter for the 3 speed..
Old 10-27-2008, 12:43 AM

Yea, I saw you sell the revised trans mount for the 400... Shifter wise, I'm not sure what I'd go with, probably a 1/4 stick or Pro stick... Hopfully I can get one in with out destroying the console completely, especially since I just installed mine 2 days ago... Hahahahaha... I might get a driveshaft made with the slip yoke for the 400 since I'm sure the trans brake would be pretty hard on the stock one... Hehehehe... Thanks for the advice/info... I'll let you know what I end up doing...
Old 12-23-2008, 11:31 PM

Default 400 tranny

I have a 400 with a manual valve body along with 28" tall tires and a 3:73 gear. I kinda wish I had the 200 when driving on the street with the gears I have. It seems to rev kinda high when just cruising but my car is loud anyway so it may be that along with not having insulation and nice stuff like a GN body. I am thinking of either going to a 3:23 gear or rebuild my 200 and go back to that. I do like the bullet proof-ness <-(is that a word?) of the 400 and the rock solid shifts from the manual valve body. Having 4th gear with the 200 would be nice though.

I have a B&M quick silver and it will work with a 3 and 4sp tranny by changing one little bolt on it.

Thanks - Ross
Old 12-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborambler View Post
I have a 400 with a manual valve body along with 28" tall tires and a 3:73 gear. I kinda wish I had the 200 when driving on the street with the gears I have. It seems to rev kinda high when just cruising but my car is loud anyway so it may be that along with not having insulation and nice stuff like a GN body. I am thinking of either going to a 3:23 gear or rebuild my 200 and go back to that. I do like the bullet proof-ness <-(is that a word?) of the 400 and the rock solid shifts from the manual valve body. Having 4th gear with the 200 would be nice though.

I have a B&M quick silver and it will work with a 3 and 4sp tranny by changing one little bolt on it.

Thanks - Ross
hey Ross,

What are you using for a converter, brand and stall. If you have a good converter, as in the correct stall, and with new technology, cruising can be enjoyable again. I noticed with some of the cars we've changed to the 400 converters are huge... when it comes to cruising. I don't think the gear change will benefit you overall.
Happy Holidays,
Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 AM

I'm glad you said something Jack... I heard if you have a 400 with a brake you don't need a really high stall... With a TE45A I have no problems launching with boost at the track with my vigilante 3200, so should I be wanting the same stall with a 400 or should I go lower???
Old 12-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
I'm glad you said something Jack... I heard if you have a 400 with a brake you don't need a really high stall... With a TE45A I have no problems launching with boost at the track with my vigilante 3200, so should I be wanting the same stall with a 400 or should I go lower???
You should use soemthing in the same ball park. Let me know when you need something, I should have a good one for ya.