TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > The Racing Forums > Drag Racing 101

Drag Racing 101 So you want to be a better racer...

Old 08-10-2008, 08:28 PM

Default First time going to the track need some advice

Well it has been along year now but I finally have the car running and back together. My new external cottons gate is at the boarder now and when it gets here I am going to throw it on and take it to see what it runs.

Couple of questions now. I rebuilt the bottom end back to stock, new rings bearings, polished the crank. I have champ irons, arp studs, gn1 intake, 70mm tb, Ta headers, 60lbs, TT chip, gen2 with 4" maf pipe. I am running a cpt 66 bb, cottons front mount.

I will be running on pump gas and I don't have alky yet. Going to run on my 255/60/15 TA's.

My tranny is a built 200r4 with a NLU 3200 art carr with a brake.

So now that, thats taken care of, here are the questions.

How much boost do you think I should be safe to try out?

How should I launch the car, foot brake or try the trans brake.

I am still getting use to driving the car now and am having a bit of a boost problem but I am pretty sure the rg45 external gate and DP will solve those problems.

Thanks Brandon!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87turbot-type View Post
Well it has been along year now but I finally have the car running and back together. My new external cottons gate is at the boarder now and when it gets here I am going to throw it on and take it to see what it runs.

Couple of questions now. I rebuilt the bottom end back to stock, new rings bearings, polished the crank. I have champ irons, arp studs, gn1 intake, 70mm tb, Ta headers, 60lbs, TT chip, gen2 with 4" maf pipe. I am running a cpt 66 bb, cottons front mount.

I will be running on pump gas and I don't have alky yet. Going to run on my 255/60/15 TA's.

My tranny is a built 200r4 with a NLU 3200 art carr with a brake.

So now that, thats taken care of, here are the questions.

How much boost do you think I should be safe to try out?

How should I launch the car, foot brake or try the trans brake.

I am still getting use to driving the car now and am having a bit of a boost problem but I am pretty sure the rg45 external gate and DP will solve those problems.

Thanks Brandon!

Brandon, without alky or race fuel, your boost will be limited, maybe 14 to 17lbs. I would start out around 14lbs and launch off the brake pedal run about 1\2 track or less and lift, make sure you don't have any knock and your tune-up is not lean. I do this because if there are any tuning issue, under 1/2 track is usually not enough time to hurt the motor. Make any adjustments you need at that point and do it again until everything looks good. Next I would run it out the back door, if everything still looks good, begin bringing the boost up 1lb at a time until you reach the limits.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 PM

That is what I will do than. The track I am going to you could hot lap if you wanted to, it's never busy.

DP is supposed to be arriving tomorrow. I really hope it solves my problem, put a new autometer sport comp 2 5/8 boost gauge in and I am creeping to 14 psi right now and it sure doesn't feel like 14psi, it barely squeeks the tires in 2nd. I am going to go over everything tonight again and take off the cooler pipes and run it and get the oxygen out and check for leaks any where. I am still pretty sure that there is something up with the WG because as you said before I shouldn't be able to run 12 psi and hold it with the stock un-ported wastegate hole on that housing.

I'll just foot brake it and see what it runs. I'll post tomorrow night and let you know if the DP and WG solves the problem.

Brandon!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Married Man

Kewl, what are you using to control boost, I hope you got the boost controller we talked about..
Old 08-12-2008, 02:12 AM

Was going to use the spring and try my turbosmart valve out if you think it is worth it or what would you suggest to use Jack.

Here is a link to the turbosmart one I was using for now.

http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?id=43

The top one on the page.

Brandon!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Married Man

let me know how it works, we may need to use something else...