TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Team Cotton's Performance > Ask Jack
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Ask Jack The best place to find me for any reason

Old 03-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Default I really could use some direction

Hi Jack,
I really need some advice.
I hooked up an smc system and set it for 12 and 20, and still have all 109 race gas in the tank and 22# of boost with reds 93 for the street.
I had power logger on the ecm and it showed 218 knock cts for three blasts.
Not to mention the car felt like crap.
I have a TA49 with 009 and dutt neck an rjc power plate hooker exhaust, THDP 3" and a tin man to the stock maf. The car runs 11.90 but not with this alcohol - everyone swears by it
What am I doing wrong?
I appreciate all help.
Thanks
Dan
Old 03-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Nitro boy

I'm not up to speed on the alky thing, but you appear to be too rich.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

You could be flooding the engine. I've never worked with an SMC. I had a home built one, but that is what it sounds like to me.
I would try turning the boost down to where you can run without the alcohol. Turn the alcohol off, and make sure everything is running right, then try turning the alcohol on as low as you can get it, and as soon as you are sure it is working, slowly turn up the boost and the alcohol to match.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:59 AM

I had the car running great before the alcohol. Should I lower the fuel pressure? I run 23# of boost and 44# of fuel pressure with red's chip, maybe I need an alky chip??
Old 03-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

If the car was running great before the alcohol, then I wouldn't change it. But that is just me. Like I said I haven't used the SMC, but if it was me, I would put it back to where it ran good, turn the alcohol kit on real low, and gradually up the boost and then the alcohol. Take it slow and gradually turn everything up a little at a time.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Morgan View Post
I had the car running great before the alcohol. Should I lower the fuel pressure? I run 23# of boost and 44# of fuel pressure with red's chip, maybe I need an alky chip??
You've had some good advice here so far. I would do what Brian said and go back to your tune up before the alcky, make sure it runs right. Then I would suggest another chip, one of the TT chips set up for alky. The chip comes with very good instructions for tuning. I will also say, I do not use nor have I tuned with the SMC kit. I really cut my teeth with the Razor kit and love em, they are the best I have worked with. Also, the Razor kits come with great and explicit tuning instructions, not to mention we and Julio are always available for help in tuning.
hope this helps,
Old 03-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Who needs radios -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCotton1 View Post
You've had some good advice here so far. I would do what Brian said and go back to your tune up before the alcky, make sure it runs right. Then I would suggest another chip, one of the TT chips set up for alky. The chip comes with very good instructions for tuning. I will also say, I do not use nor have I tuned with the SMC kit. I really cut my teeth with the Razor kit and love em, they are the best I have worked with. Also, the Razor kits come with great and explicit tuning instructions, not to mention we and Julio are always available for help in tuning.
hope this helps,
Indeed my father had the smc kit and I could never dial the thing in correct. I have yet to install Razors kit on my T but the instructions that came with teh kit are hands down amazing. But you already have the smc kit so like they all said, get the car back to normal tune with no alky and then take baby steps with teh smc. If no success then figure out what plan B is
Old 03-14-2008, 11:41 PM

Thank you for the advice.
I just got two TT chips from Eric and look forward to trying them.
As for the SMC I picked it up used and will give it a go. I am using straight denatured alcohol.
Thanks again
Dan