TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Team Cotton's Performance > Ask Jack

Ask Jack The best place to find me for any reason

Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Default powerglide

I also have another question. A friend and I was talking trans today and I want to know if a gn with a 2 speed powerglide trans would be a good set up
Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

My opinion: No.

These motors don't rev as high as others, so you need that extra gear.
Again, my opinion.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM

So what can I do to make the trans it has better?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

There's a boat load of things that cn be done to the 2004R to make it handle the horsepower. It all depends on what your car is capable of and where you want to take it. If it is stock to mildly upgraded, then the stock tranny is good, as long as it is built by the right person. If you want to start adding HP to it, then you can have hardened parts added, they machine the drum face so that they can add extra clutches to it, a billet servo, then you can get all the way up to billet hard parts. It depends on what you want from it, and more importantly, how much money you have. These things can get you into the 11s stock, and into the 10s, and even 9s with all the right parts. $$$$$

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by waGoN View Post
There's a boat load of things that cn be done to the 2004R to make it handle the horsepower. It all depends on what your car is capable of and where you want to take it. If it is stock to mildly upgraded, then the stock tranny is good, as long as it is built by the right person. If you want to start adding HP to it, then you can have hardened parts added, they machine the drum face so that they can add extra clutches to it, a billet servo, then you can get all the way up to billet hard parts. It depends on what you want from it, and more importantly, how much money you have. These things can get you into the 11s stock, and into the 10s, and even 9s with all the right parts. $$$$$
Brian, I still have my GN's original 200-4R transmission on the car which was built by the late Eric Shertz of Dynotech, using all the "bullet-proof" parts money can buy, including a Performance Transmission's "Bat Brake". It was quite expensive ($3,500. 7-8 years ago !) , but it never broke, always performed flawlessly. I never had the slightest problem with it, BUT that was with my 3.8 aluminium block TA motor with M&A heads, running a personal best of 10.51 @ 129 mph. Now that I have a Stage II 4.1 RPE "badass" motor in the car, Jack keeps telling me that it's just a matter of time before the 200-4R breaks, that it won't live very long running in the 9's launching a 3,600 pounds car using a trans-brake, and that I should seriously consider converting to a TH-400... At first, I didn't even want to hear about going to a "400", but now, after listening to Jack's explanations, I'm starting to change my view on this and if everything holds up this year, maybe (I said "maybe"... ) I could have a TH-400 built during next winter...we'll see...There are a few things which bother me a bit about going with a TH-400...which are the fact that it doesn't have any overdrive, and also, all of the ones I've seen to date that had a trans brake had a manual reverse pattern valve body which I don't find very pleasant or practical when driving the car on the street...... I'll keep asking some questions to find out if a "normal", forward shifting pattern, trans-brake equipped TH-400 is available. I've even spoke to Jack about using a 4L80E (which is a TH-400 with an overdrive), but Jack doesn't seem in favor of this, saying that most guys who used them had problems with them...

Claude.
2012 Lincoln MKX

Last edited by toofastforyou; 07-27-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 AM

What's the difference between the 3.8 and the 4.1(stage1 and stage 2)
Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushwah View Post
What's the difference between the 3.8 and the 4.1(stage1 and stage 2)

Mainly the bore if we are talking about off-center blocks. Off-center is the type of block which is of the same design as the stock block. There are many variables between the stage one and 2. over the years, BMS made casting and machining changes with the blocks, yet still used the same casting numbers. The bottom ine is there are not very many of either avaible out there..
Old 07-27-2010, 06:28 PM

Are there kits to build the engines to have nasty HP n are there turbo kits n if so where could I find them
Old 07-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushwah View Post
Are there kits to build the engines to have nasty HP n are there turbo kits n if so where could I find them
I. do you have a name, feel kind of funny calling you Hushwah...

2. yes, we can put a package together for you, give me a call at the shop and I'll be happy to work something up..
Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 PM

Sorry I'm James and ill give u a call thanks