TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > COTTONSPERFORMANCE.COM > New Products

New Products Where we can share whats coming and you can tell us what you want...

Old 12-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Married Man

Default New Electronic Boost Controller

WE will have a new MSBC controller available next week. This will be similar to our Innovative controller we have carried for many years, with several upgrades and improvements. I don't have a lot of info at this time, prefer to wait until next friday when I receive a shipment. The regular price of $679.00 will be $579.00 for this first introductory shipment. This unit has been used on cars from street to strip, having been used by most of the fastest turbo cars in the country.

This base discription is as follows, an updated discription will be coming when the new controllers come in..

The MSBC-1 provides six stages of boost control, including a launch stage for drag racing and one stage for each of five gears. You can choose from 17 different ramp settings within each of the six stages, and you can program from 0 up to 60 pounds of boost during each stage in 1-psi increments. It even compensates automatically for changes in air density.

The MSBC-1’s display shows manifold pressure during boost control. Plus, there are two analog data recorder outputs: actual boost level and target boost level. In addition, a self-test makes it easy to figure out if everything has been installed and programmed properly. The self-test checks the display, MAP sensor, solenoids and data logger output. If there’s a problem, error codes indicate the trouble areas.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Nitro boy

This is still an Innovate unit, correct? Why does boost control need to be soooooo complicated, ie. 17 ramp sttings for each stage? I'd like one, but I just got comfortable with my Greddy, and I hate having to learn everthing over. Can you just set max boost and forget it?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:51 AM
The Engineer

Jack,
What is involved in installing electronic boost control? Does it use co2 cartridge?
Conrad
Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHynes View Post
This is still an Innovate unit, correct? Why does boost control need to be soooooo complicated, ie. 17 ramp sttings for each stage? I'd like one, but I just got comfortable with my Greddy, and I hate having to learn everthing over. Can you just set max boost and forget it?
First off, Innovative didn't make them, just sold them under their name. It's really not complicated, it's nice to have the options available, if needed. I wish I was comfortable with that Greddy, if it worked on your car we would have run 9's that first day out.... As for learning the new unit, it's simple, I use it exactly like you want, set it and forget it.. As for ramping in the boost, I prefer to improve my suspension and traction without backing the boost off..
hope that helps,
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair View Post
Jack,
What is involved in installing electronic boost control? Does it use co2 cartridge?
Conrad
There are lots of options available for type of wastegate you are using, 2 boost control solenoids, 1 MAP sensor, and the control module. It's not too bad to install, all the wiring and plugs are included, the only parts not included are vacumne hose or lines and a few misc standard fittings. We've been using and installing these units for over 5 years, support is readily available. It also comes with a CD for instructions and is very thorough.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Da Big Cheese

Thumbs up

ive been running mine without the CO2 option , external gate (HKS) with 5# spring
the MSBC-1 i got from jack last year is an awesome controller and once you get it set it does the rest and the large buttons and simple programming allow you to quickly raise and lower launch and running boost and not have to worry about creep , makes the car much more consistent for bracket racing , and the launch feature helps too , i can usually keep my 60' to within 3-4 hundredths
the ramping isnt as important , like jack said if it aint sticking its better to fix the traction issue than to run lower boost , but if you were trying to maximize your tires because you spool too quick for them the ramps help by creating a sort of lag to keep the tires gripping and because its programmable you can make changes until you find the best point for what you have , all the time being consistent ,

for me the timered stages are its best feature allowing you to program in how long you run in each stage of boost from .01 to 4.99 seconds, i went 11.31 124 1.80 on true street tires with it (245/50-16 federals on gta rims)
the 87 ttop ,1.37 6.0@ 114 9.45 @ 141.9 25 psi !!
109 235cu .gn1 alum, certified roll cage .
the 87gnx'd FAST B2B TA49 ..back to all stock original #s 109 and trans hipro w stagerite
the 87 GN ttop ..all stock with vac brakes
86 WH1 mini tubbed roll caged 109, extreme 2004r
all on pump 93 and alkycontrol
Old 12-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceCarTA View Post
ive been running mine without the CO2 option , external gate (HKS) with 5# spring
the MSBC-1 i got from jack last year is an awesome controller and once you get it set it does the rest and the large buttons and simple programming allow you to quickly raise and lower launch and running boost and not have to worry about creep , makes the car much more consistent for bracket racing , and the launch feature helps too , i can usually keep my 60' to within 3-4 hundredths
the ramping isnt as important , like jack said if it aint sticking its better to fix the traction issue than to run lower boost , but if you were trying to maximize your tires because you spool too quick for them the ramps help by creating a sort of lag to keep the tires gripping and because its programmable you can make changes until you find the best point for what you have , all the time being consistent ,

for me the timered stages are its best feature allowing you to program in how long you run in each stage of boost from .01 to 4.99 seconds, i went 11.31 124 1.80 on true street tires with it (245/50-16 federals on gta rims)
Good post Paul..... it's always good when a customer can actually chime in with real world experience showing a product can actually work as advertized... Happy Holidays to you and yours...
Old 12-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Nitro boy

Pm'd you Jack
Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHynes View Post
Pm'd you Jack
Got it......
Old 12-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Married Man

Here is the functional description of the MSBC-1 controller:

* six stage programmable boost control

* useful for street, dirt and drag race applications

* 0-80psi target boost range for each stage(1 psi increments)

* up to 18 different ramp settings to control how fast boost is allowed to build

* launch stage for drag racing

* shift input for automatic stage selection for drag racing

* 4 built-in timers for timed boost control

* front panel stage selection by driver for road or dirt use

* readout of actual boost during boost control

* built-in self test features

* two analog data recorder outputs - actual boost level and target boost level

* two solenoid drive outputs - one increase boost output, one decrease boost output

* can be used with single or dual port wastegates

* uses electronic pressure sensor in manifold to monitor and control boost

* will force wastegate to produce preset target boost level even with air density and load, or mechanical variations

* can be used with manifold pressure or external pressure source for control

IMPORTANT - The MSBC can only cause the engine to build boost within the operating envelope of your turbocharger/wastegate system. Your turbocharger/wastegate system has a minimum and maximum boost level. The MSBC will not change these limits. It will control boost within these limits. You must know and understand these characteristics before you can successfully gain the performance benefits of the MSBC.