TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Team Cotton's Performance > Ask Jack

Ask Jack The best place to find me for any reason

Old 11-06-2013, 05:14 AM

Default Smoking 87 G N

Hey Jack, Iam new to the turbo world. Just purchased a 87 GN. T A 61 John Craig Turbo, 42.5lb injectors, TT computer chip, Charged air system intercooler by Tony Quick, 3'' down pipe, stock upper intake and t.b. volt booster, 2.5 exhaust, 2800 converter, 3;42 gears, After car sets up over night crank up in the moring it idles for a couple minutes then starts to some blue as in oil. It will smoke for several minutes then stops and nothing while driving normal are at different speeds. then same thing the next morning. Can you help on this please. Also do you see anything wrong with my setup and thing i can do different,change are add to make a better set up. iam wanting a 12 flat are 11.80 car. Thanks Barry.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:34 AM
boostedGMC

Sounds like valve seals to me.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Married Man

Welcome,

Thanks Mikes, valve seals, head gasket, turbo... those are 3 areas to start at. Are the motor and heads original factory, not rebuilt?...

As for 12.0, you should be able to get there with what you have, with race gas or what we put on most cars, an alky kit..
Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 AM

The motor has never been into. Its all stock heads and internals. What and where on the turbo do i need to check for oil? I have heard these cars dont have seals on the exhaust valves is that true? Thank yall for replying to me.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM
boostedGMC

Look in the intake side for oil residue. If you can remove the turbo itself and look for caked on oil exhaust down pipe. Make sure your turbo drain line isn't kinked or blocked. does it smoke on start up then go away after a few minutes? This is a typical valve seal trait. Does it smoke only after it warms up? This would tend to be more of a turbo seal or drain situation. Just my two cents. good luck! Let us know how you make out. sorry after rereading the original post is sound a lot like Valve seals.