TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > Technical Forums > Transmissions and Torque Converters

Transmissions and Torque Converters Tranny and torque converter tech support

Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 AM

Feel free to shoot me a pm with what ya got for me and a price... I'm thinking about having the 200 and the 400 done at the same time, selling the 200, and installing the 400... The 200 is out of warranty, but the guy knows it has low miles on it... Last night I was driving the car home for the first time since I started everything and it started with the 2-3 flare I can't get ahead, it's breaking faster than I can fix it right now... Last time out the PS pump started making a bunch of noise, the front cover is leaking oil somewhere, and before I get to fix either of them the trans starts pooping out on me...
Old 01-14-2009, 02:24 AM

Smile more 400 comments

I am not sure - I got the tranny and converter from a guy in NJ off of the buick site a while back. I know some known Buick guy built it. I can go look in some emails if I can find it. : ) I have a manual valve body but NOT a trans brake. : ( . I think I have around a 2800 ish stall. I had a 200r with a 3200 stall that would just spool like a banshee - very quick. I loved it.

So are you saying there are some new fangeld(sp) 400 converters that will lower my RPM when I am cruising? I still think a gear change will help vs spending all the coin to get a strong 200r. It seems like everyone has the 2-3 flare come back at some point in the 200r. Maybe if I get one of those nice over-drive setups for the 400 that would be cool. : ) The good ones cost more than a killer 200r though....

I can change from one tranny to the other pretty easy if I want to. I still think for cruising and some racing a 200r is a better more pleasant user experiance. I think the 200r also has a lower first gear for a quicker out of the hole launch? no? : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCotton1 View Post
hey Ross,

What are you using for a converter, brand and stall. If you have a good converter, as in the correct stall, and with new technology, cruising can be enjoyable again. I noticed with some of the cars we've changed to the 400 converters are huge... when it comes to cruising. I don't think the gear change will benefit you overall.
Happy Holidays,
Old 01-14-2009, 04:23 AM

Ive got a built AOD with transbrake and all the goodies including a PTC 9.5" converter,B&M shifter and cable,and SFI bellhousing if anyone is looking.Trans is from CK Performance and has maybe 1 mile on it.

I have about $5000 in it with the converter,looking for $2500 obo
________
Washington marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by broke1; 08-15-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Default 200-4r build in Car Craft

Just to add some info to this - I just got the March 2009 issue of Car Craft in the mail and there is a nice article on the 200-4r starting on page 40. They go through a rebuild and what parts and tweaks Art Carr makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborambler View Post
I am not sure - I got the tranny and converter from a guy in NJ off of the buick site a while back. I know some known Buick guy built it. I can go look in some emails if I can find it. : ) I have a manual valve body but NOT a trans brake. : ( . I think I have around a 2800 ish stall. I had a 200r with a 3200 stall that would just spool like a banshee - very quick. I loved it.

So are you saying there are some new fangeld(sp) 400 converters that will lower my RPM when I am cruising? I still think a gear change will help vs spending all the coin to get a strong 200r. It seems like everyone has the 2-3 flare come back at some point in the 200r. Maybe if I get one of those nice over-drive setups for the 400 that would be cool. : ) The good ones cost more than a killer 200r though....

I can change from one tranny to the other pretty easy if I want to. I still think for cruising and some racing a 200r is a better more pleasant user experiance. I think the 200r also has a lower first gear for a quicker out of the hole launch? no? : )
Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 PM

My buddy Sal bought one of the gear vendor overdrive units... They said it wouldn't have a problem holding up in his twin turbo Viper with a powerglide... It blew up on one of the first few passes so those aren't really an option for us "regular" poor people...lol... His car makes over 2000hp and runs low 7's, but that still put a bad taste in my mouth considering how much those units cost... I've actually been driving the car around a bit in drive instead of overdrive to see what the 400 would be like and its not bad with the local cruising/driving I do... I don't have $5000 to make a bulletproof 200-4R, so the $1000, Turbo 400 with all the goodies sounds like a GREAT idea...
Old 01-18-2009, 03:14 AM

A properly built 400 will run you more than $1000.The good drum/36 element sprag combos alone run $550 and up.Go spragless and your talking $1400 for just the vb alone
________
LadyHotLove cam

Last edited by broke1; 08-15-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 PM

Question

I keep reading your posts about installing a TH400 in a GN...and several questions come to my mind which worry me a little about this swap...
I do drive the car on the street and I still have the 200-4R transmission on my car. Even if it's been "built" by Eric Schertz (Dynotech) with the best parts, everyone including Martin and even Jack told me that sooner or later, the 200-4R will reach it's limits and let go...I might have to go to a TH400 one day...
But...
-1˚: Why is it that everyone who put a TH400 has to have a "reverse pattern manual valve body" ? Is it possible to have a TH400 with a FORWARD PATTERN and AUTOMATIC, valve body? I don't think I'd be fun driving the car on the street with having to constantly shift up and down at every stoplight or whenever traffic slows down or gets faster... I really don't like that drawback...
-2˚: Would using 3.23 gears compensate for not having an overdrive ?...
-3˚: Will that (going to 3.23 gears) hurt my 1/4 mile et ?

Thanks guys for your replies...

Claude.
2012 Lincoln MKX