TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > COTTONSPERFORMANCE.COM > The Lounge
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Lounge A place we can all just hang and shoot it..

Old 02-08-2008, 07:22 PM

Thumbs up Great little battery charger!

I've had several different battery chargers over the years. Most have worked adequately, but I was never really satisfied with them. More importantly, my Buick never really took a charge well. Again this year, my battery (new last spring) needed charging (not completely dead), but my current Schumacher didn't want to charge it. I bought and then returned a Sears one that also didn't seem to work. Frustrated, I went on the Internet and did a search. I came up with this little baby

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100375933

at Home depot. What a hidden gem. Has a digital display that tells you what it's doing when it's charging (2/6/10 Amps) as well as display error codes based on the condition of your battery. When it's finished charging, (it gradually slows and displays the charge rate as it goes) it tops off the charge with a trickle charge than displays a FUL message in the display. It can display the battery output and says it can check your alternator output. I considered the $39.99 price a bargain. It weighs next to nothing and measures about 6x8x9". If you need a new one, consider this.

87 TType, XFI, 66-BB, Alky, MT DRs
11.0 @ 120
Old 02-08-2008, 07:28 PM
2 Lemon Ades...

Default Nice...

Thanks for sharing Bob.
I hate going out to the car and turning the key, ccccclick......
Had to put the jumpers on the Z twice this winter. I finally put the maintainer on it. I wasnt going to go for the third time.....
Old 02-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Nice one Bob. I have one of the older Sears ones. You know the kind. They are a metal box with vents. Mine is a 2/10/30(start). It works pretty good, but with several cars that I don't use in the Winter, it is a pain, so I also bought a battery pack, but I still have dead batterys. Now I am using battery maintaners. I bought them from Harbor Freight for about $8 each. Now they are only $4.99. They are nice and small, light, and work. I just unplug it from the wall or extension cord when I want to move a car. The car starts right up, and I just put the plug under the hood. When I put the car back, I just plug it back in. But, even with these, every garage still needs a good charger.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

OH, and of course, the best way to charge a battery, is on the lowest slowest setting. I have never had a good luck throwing it on the 10 amp setting. If I just leave the car for a little while after the 10amp charge, then it dies much quicker than if I charge it with the 2 amp setting.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:00 PM

When I had the Optima's and they died, I think recharging them really killed them since they would no longer hold a charge. I hear you are only supposed to charge them at the 2 Amp rate, but I had no way to do that with my old chargers. I also have two booster packs but only use them for an emergency start. I know it's not good for a battery or alternator to charge a mostly dead battery with the alternator. I'll have to see how long this charge holds. I was smart enough to keep all the paper for the newest battery with the battery so returning/exchanging it should be a snap should it not hold a charge.

87 TType, XFI, 66-BB, Alky, MT DRs
11.0 @ 120