TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS  

Go Back   TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS > COTTONSPERFORMANCE.COM > The Lounge
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Lounge A place we can all just hang and shoot it..

Old 09-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Default Fuel tanks

OK, this may not be the best place for this, but it is the best I could do.
Do diesel fuel tanks have baffles in them? Anyone know? I have been baffling my own tanks for the waGoN since I built it, and the two that I have done have worked pretty good for the 12s. But once I got down to the lower 11s, I have had to either use at least a half tank of gas, or suck ari and pop. BAD! I just noticed that there was a diesel option for the wagon, and I'm wondering since the diesels were fuel injected, and really don't like air in their fuel system, if it might be baffled. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Married Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by waGoN View Post
OK, this may not be the best place for this, but it is the best I could do.
Do diesel fuel tanks have baffles in them? Anyone know? I have been baffling my own tanks for the waGoN since I built it, and the two that I have done have worked pretty good for the 12s. But once I got down to the lower 11s, I have had to either use at least a half tank of gas, or suck ari and pop. BAD! I just noticed that there was a diesel option for the wagon, and I'm wondering since the diesels were fuel injected, and really don't like air in their fuel system, if it might be baffled. Anyone? Thanks in advance.
got just the fix for ya...... real simple too..... and we have plenty of time... to do it...
Old 09-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Fat Kid

Talking Tanky

Hey waGoN. How's the project going otherwise? For starters, the diesel tank filler neck is different, due to the larger pump nozzles used to dispense the diesel in the Big Rigs. That makes it more apt to spill out during fueling. These modern gas pump nozzles won't stay it or dispense with out holding them pressed against the nozzle, or pulling back the vapor recovery, spring loaded hose to dispense the fuel. (This makes it hard to fill my Impalas with gas, I have to stand out there and fill it myself. NJ is a full service state.) Some states don't have the recovery hose but NJ does. My VW is a diesel, and it is a different tank. On to your question: Those Diesels back then were mechanical injection. Two diesel engines offered on the wagons, a Rocket 350 block V-8 (105 HP), and a 4.3 V-6 (86 HP). The later might have been installed in cars from Canada. Being Mechanically injected, they also were gravity feed tanks just like the Gas models and had no reserve, or baffling. The sending units were different due to the addition of the return line, but the gas units had the EVAP line (for the years that apply). The injector pumps pull and push more fuel than the engine could ever use, this keeps them lubricated. They can also run a long time with just the amount of fuel inside the pump, and won't return if the pump case is not full (return comes out at the top).
One 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass,

One 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass,
One 1982 Volkswagen Pickup Turbo Diesel,
One 1990 Ford F250 With Banks help
One 1990 9C1 Red and White
Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Thanks.

I knew that the filler neck was different, but you can buy the tank without the neck, and the gasser is different than the diesel. I figured that meant baffles, but I don't know. I don't see what other difference there could be. I'll have to check with my local supplier and see if they have the book on them. The book listed if the tank had baffles, or in most cases, the dog dish. They gave me one of their books years ago, and I loaned it to someone, never to see it again.

The project???? Well, I pulled the wreckage. Now I am still trying to decide what to do with the car. I (and Jack) have been rounding up the parts for a killer setup, but I'm not sure what to put in it for the time being. I have a motor, but I'm not sure if I want to just stick it in the car, or do a little something to it first. Gotta call Jack and discuss it a little. With the season almost over, I don't know if I want to go through too much hassle. Also, I am somewhat limited on time if I want to have it race ready by the 3rd.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Big Block Member

Send a message via AIM to turbonatr

Don't know if it helps you any, but the tank in my Ram is definately baffled.