View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Fat Kid

Post Oil

Actually, concerning oil in the engines, I was worried sick about my number's matching 327 for the Impala SS. It has a hydraulic flat tappet cam, and there was too many horror stories about today's modern oil, wipeing out the lifters and lobes. So instead of putting in the hydraulic roller cam I have on the shelf, complete retro-fit kit, which would require having the spring seats cut. Not too mention an almost complete teardown, of which I am lazy, and working on the BB roller for that car and the crank isn't drilled for a damper bolt (small journal engines back then). I dropped in a gallon of 15W-40 Rotilla-T diesel oil and a quart of ATF for good measure. (Purchased early 2007 and shaken well.)

The diesel oils still have the lubricating qualities we desire, and the ATF cleans the gunk out of the engines, and it's good for the valves. I have been using ATF to clean out the old Small Journal engines for some time now, and it really works wonders. You would think that the engine was rebuilt just this year. Just make sure you drain the oil while it's hot, and have enough time to let all the "bad stuff" come out the drain hole. I think that I left mine over the drain pan overnight, in the garage of course.
One 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass,

One 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass,
One 1982 Volkswagen Pickup Turbo Diesel,
One 1990 Ford F250 With Banks help
One 1990 9C1 Red and White