View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Long Roofs are sexy!

Go roller. Yeah, I know you said you wanted to save money, but with all this talk of removing zinc from motor oils causing cam wipeage, and the Buick's already long history of wiping more cams than other types of motors, you are better off spending the extra money now. If you wipe a cam, then you are probably going to be going through the motor doing bearings again. That doesn't save any money. Not to mention, a roller setup isn't that much more money anyways, and it does make a difference performance wise. It will help it rev and spool.
For the best info, I would call Jack and talk one on one about what you want to get out of it. He will probably suggest a roller, but it is your money. IF you don't go roller, make sure you put in the additives to add the zinc back into the oil.
Just my opinion. Oh, and I have had a number of cams wipe. Different brands of cam, different 109 blocks, and different people breaking them in. Rollers for me all the way. I have lost a couple of turbos, and motors, that I think was directly connected to cam failure.

Keep it shiny side up, but show them your dirty side once in a while.

11.3@123mph on 195/75/14" whitewalls. Yes, 195s!
11.2 on the big giant slicks. What's the point? Maybe I'll go back to the whitewalls. They are lighter and have less rolling resistance.