TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS

TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS (http://community.cottonsperformance.viper05.citasystems.net/forum/index.php)
-   Buick Turbo Tech (http://community.cottonsperformance.viper05.citasystems.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Distributor or DIS? (http://community.cottonsperformance.viper05.citasystems.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115)

trbochrgd1 12-30-2007 10:42 PM

Distributor or DIS?

Has anyone here swapped out there DIS for a distributor? Did you see any benefits?

JCotton1 12-31-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trbochrgd1 (Post 473)
Has anyone here swapped out there DIS for a distributor? Did you see any benefits?

I'm still toying with the idea, I have 3 MSD dis-4 boxes, when they work, it's awsome. I mainly use them for the 2 step at launch. The distributor allows us to use a 7al box, which is said to work very well also. I think that is the main benefits we see. Maybe someone else can pipe in with their experience...

trbochrgd1 12-31-2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCotton1 (Post 482)
I'm still toying with the idea, I have 3 MSD dis-4 boxes, when they work, it's awsome. I mainly use them for the 2 step at launch. The distributor allows us to use a 7al box, which is said to work very well also. I think that is the main benefits we see. Maybe someone else can pipe in with their experience...

I have the MSD DIS-4 box too. I haven't had any problems with the box yet. I have had it since about 1999 and I bought it used then! I have read posts about eliminating the waste spark and you pick up horsepower, some people believe it and others say no. IMO I can't see how it wouldn't help eliminating the waste spark. That way there will be more power going to the plug and not getting distributed to a cylinder that is not firing. RJC had a great idea with the piggy back coil packs but I guess there having problems in development. I think by the time you were done if you went the RJC route it would be more costly to get the coil packs, modules, and then you would need two MSD DIS-4 boxes with the adapter harnesses. I still like the idea. I wonder what would be more benefitial the distributor or the RJC system.

Turbobuick 01-10-2008 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCotton1 (Post 482)

IMO I don't think it's worth much on a car that doesn't see over 6500, but on a motor that spends a lot of time over 6500 I feel it will show significant gains. But only in the higher RPM range. I wouldn't even consider it on a car running 9.50 or slower. Most guys running that fast will see the higher rpm so making the swap makes more sense on a faster car. The stock ignition works pretty good and we've (and lots of others) have gone pretty fast with them. The DIS doesn't particularly like 2-steps but they work well with the MSD DIS4. I personally don't care much for MSD.

trbochrgd1 01-10-2008 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbobuick (Post 685)
IMO I don't think it's worth much on a car that doesn't see over 6500, but on a motor that spends a lot of time over 6500 I feel it will show significant gains. But only in the higher RPM range. I wouldn't even consider it on a car running 9.50 or slower. Most guys running that fast will see the higher rpm so making the swap makes more sense on a faster car. The stock ignition works pretty good and we've (and lots of others) have gone pretty fast with them. The DIS doesn't particularly like 2-steps but they work well with the MSD DIS4. I personally don't care much for MSD.

Thanks for the input.

Jack, where do you think my motor will be at as far as top end rpm? Or we won't know until we get it running?

JCotton1 01-11-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trbochrgd1 (Post 724)
Thanks for the input.

Jack, where do you think my motor will be at as far as top end rpm? Or we won't know until we get it running?

I'm sure we'll be in the 6200 plus..... range. Bobby's grind, maybe up to 6800... we'll know when we spank it..

trbochrgd1 01-11-2008 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCotton1 (Post 730)
I'm sure we'll be in the 6200 plus..... range. Bobby's grind, maybe up to 6800... we'll know when we spank it..

Nice, I can't wait for that. I am getting closer....