TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS

TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS (http://community.cottonsperformance.viper05.citasystems.net/forum/index.php)
-   Buick Turbo Tech (http://community.cottonsperformance.viper05.citasystems.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   car has no pep (http://community.cottonsperformance.viper05.citasystems.net/forum/showthread.php?t=699)

giffholmes 07-28-2008 04:43 PM

car has no pep

I recently finished rebuilding my engine and transmission. (See list of current mods below).

The car actually runs and shifts great, but it's a total dog off the line. Really mushy. Car runs fast just takes longer to get there. Would you guys help me troubleshoot the problem to find out where I went wrong.

Thanks
Giff

Champion CNC ported iron Cylinder Heads,
Billet Main Caps & ARP Main Studs,
Garrett TA49 Turbo,
MSD 50 lbs Injectors,
TurboTweak Computer Chip,
Translator/Plus engine analyzer,
3 ½ Terry Houston Down pipe (No converter),
ATR 2 ½ SS exhaust system,
XP+ Fuel Pump and Hot Wire,
PTE Plenum,
62 mm throttle body,
RJC Throttle plate,
LS1 3 1/2 MAF sensor,
9 in K&N cone air filter,
200R4 Master rebuild kit(CKPerformance),
PST Polygraphite suspension,
Aluminum Radiator & Dual Cooling Fans,
Rear Seat Braces,
New PowerMaster Brake unit

waGoN 07-28-2008 08:47 PM

Where's your air filter?
What do you have for a torque converter?

giffholmes 07-29-2008 02:55 AM

not peppy

I have a 4" Pro-Flow filter inside the engine bay. I have a big mouth kit but have not installed it. My trans rebuild kit is from Chris Kokonis (CKPerformance) and I also ordered a new converter from him as well. It looks just like the one it replaced (D5?). He never mentioned a stall speed and I never asked.

Giff

waGoN 07-29-2008 11:34 AM

I'd get the air cleaner out of the engine compartment. Find out what the converter is and what stall.

No Scan Tool?
Find out if you are running rich down low. Too rich would make it real doggy.
How does it spool? Quick, or is it slow to spool too?

giffholmes 07-29-2008 04:16 PM

not peppy

thanks for your response Brian.

Car is extremely slow to spool but when it does it pulls hard.

I don't know much about the converter but I do believe it's basically stock (2800?).

Car runs good with Shell V-Power (little or no knock) but I did turn up the fuel pressure a bit.

Giff

waGoN 07-29-2008 06:21 PM

Let's see, a number of years ago, I had I think a T49, and I had my air cleaner under the hood. I had a modified stock converter. And, when ever I tried to build boost, it wouldn't. If I took it for a spin, and got cool air under the hood, and stopped, I could build boost immediately. If I waited a few seconds, and watched on my scan tool as the under hood temps went up over 100, I could then build no boost. I would definately move your air cleaner out of the engine compartment. Even if it isn't your problem, it isn't helping, and I think it is part of your problem. The other part, sounds like your converter.
Turning your fuel pressure up, might be making it worse. If you are too rich, it is going to bog big time. Don't just turn it down though (could be hazardous to your engine): What is your fuel pressure with the vacuum line off? What does your chip call for for static fuel pressure? Set your FP where the chip calls for and see if that makes a difference. You could always drop it maybe a pound or two and see if that helps, but I wouldn't go too much, and I wouldn't leave it there. You will run lean up top. Lean is mean, but also dangerous to your wallet.