TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS

TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS (http://community.cottonsperformance.viper05.citasystems.net/forum/index.php)
-   Transmissions and Torque Converters (http://community.cottonsperformance.viper05.citasystems.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Choosing a torque converter... (http://community.cottonsperformance.viper05.citasystems.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1866)

toofastforyou 11-08-2010 11:29 PM

Choosing a torque converter...

Now that I've made up my mind and have decided to follow Jack's recommandation, I'll be going with a TH-400 next year. :o
I've been doing a little researching on the net for a torque converter and I found a lot of manufacturers... There's PTC, ATI, TCI, JW, Art Carr, Precision, Hughes, Neil Chance, Coan, to name a few...
I know my good friend Martin has tried both PTC and ATI back-to-back and seems to have had better results with the ATI.
I, myself have always had some Art Carr converters in my GN, but that is with the 200-4R. I looked at his website and he seems to be more specialized in 200-4R's than TH-400's...:rolleyes:
For some reason, I seem to have confidence into the ATI, but do not trust PTC... I think I'll choose a "spragless" type from ATI...What do you think?

links: http://www.atiracing.com/products/tc/tc.htm

Claude. ;)

toofastforyou 11-11-2010 09:07 PM

?...anyone?...:(

Claude.

BrianHynes 11-12-2010 02:40 PM

Welcome to the 400 side Claude.. You have made a good decisioin. I don't have a lot of track time with my 400, but I can tell you that the ATI fuel/blown convertor MPH's very well. This was the convertor Jack recommended for me. On another note, I'm thinking of purchasing 15x10 Street Lites to use with my 295 MT's. How do your 10's fit your car and what tires are you using on the street? Sorry, I don't remember. It's been a while since I've seen you. Brian

toofastforyou 11-12-2010 09:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianHynes (Post 7712)
Welcome to the 400 side Claude.. You have made a good decisioin. I don't have a lot of track time with my 400, but I can tell you that the ATI fuel/blown convertor MPH's very well. This was the convertor Jack recommended for me. On another note, I'm thinking of purchasing 15x10 Street Lites to use with my 295 MT's. How do your 10's fit your car and what tires are you using on the street? Sorry, I don't remember. It's been a while since I've seen you. Brian

Hi Brian...thanks for your reply about the converter. My friend Martin also has an ATI and has good results with it, better than with his previous one (PTC).
About my 15"x10" Street Lites, mine have a 4.5" rear spacing and fit ok with some P275-60-15 tires and NO frame notch. They're close to the frame inside (about 1/2"), but absolutely no rubbing. Below are some pictures (viewed under the car in front of the rear tires) showing the clearance between the frame and tire's sidewall bulge...Hope this helps! ;)
One last note...I use a 1/4" spacer on the left side to have the same clearance on both sides (as the rear axle is rarely perfectly centered under the car...:rolleyes: )
Take care,
regards,

Claude. :)

JCotton1 11-16-2010 01:26 PM

Hey Claude...

You know where I stand, either ATI or PTC will work fine. They both work. Sometimes they need to be restalled to get what we are looking for, bottom line, both work well at your level.... There is no magic converter, even though there are those out there that want you to believe that... :rolleyes:

toofastforyou 11-16-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCotton1 (Post 7727)
Hey Claude...

You know where I stand, either ATI or PTC will work fine. They both work. Sometimes they need to be restalled to get what we are looking for, bottom line, both work well at your level.... There is no magic converter, even though there are those out there that want you to believe that... :rolleyes:

Jack, thanks for talking on the phone about this with me yesterday!...I have made my mind and will go with an ATI converter...Martin saw an improvement when he went from a PTC to an ATI and said to me "ask Jack to give you the same part # converter as I have" ! (spragless)......so I don't see any reason why I shouldn't have confidence in ATI. :)

And last, I'll pass on the "magic converters" ...:rolleyes: :D

Thank you, talk to you soon...

Claude. ;)