TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS

TEAM COTTON'S PERFORMANCE TURBO BUICK ONLINE FORUMS (http://community.cottonsperformance.viper05.citasystems.net/forum/index.php)
-   Buick Turbo Tech (http://community.cottonsperformance.viper05.citasystems.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Comparison of downpipes (http://community.cottonsperformance.viper05.citasystems.net/forum/showthread.php?t=361)

Recklessrob 03-08-2008 11:34 PM

Comparison of downpipes

1 Attachment(s)
At the last open house we were able to compare Cottons
external waste gated downpipe with on of the Chinese
knock offs commonly found on ebay. Here is a pic so you
can see for your self.

JCotton1 03-10-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recklessrob (Post 1706)
At the last open house we were able to compare Cottons
external waste gated downpipe with on of the Chinese
knock offs commonly found on ebay. Here is a pic so you
can see for your self.

Thanks again Rob,

As we saw, the DP on the right with the small discharge hole would not be able to control boost. I have customers that bought that DP and complained they could not get the boost below 25lbs, the hole needs to be enlarged. To be able to control boost we have to be able to divert exhaust away from the turbine wheel, if the discharge hole is too small, we will not be able to divert enough exhaust. What bothers me is the thickness of the exhaust flange, it is plain too thick. I'm not sure how far out the flange could be ported and I am also worried the flange opening for the DP may not be able to be ported out to flow properly when using a larger Q or S trim turbine wheel. I give the pipe an A for appearance, it is prettier than mine with the polished pipe... but thats about it.... :)

Phoneguy 03-14-2008 04:29 AM

:eek:

Bryan

Sam Colalillo 05-25-2008 12:44 AM

Cotton's Custom 3.5 external gated down pipe.

1 Attachment(s)
The body was off the frame of our car in my shop here in indiana, the engine block at the machine shop, my headers and cross over pipe in Jacks hands.

I told Jack I was eliminating the A.C. out of the car, Jack did not tell Brian. (Brian I swear I told him). Brian welded up a Fricking awesome down pipe. He cut the cross over pipe of my Kenne Bell headers apart and rerouted it and welded it back togethor. I always hated how that thing use to fit. He made the custom 3.5 down pipe fit great around the headers, then he welded in the EGT bungs onto the headers.

One of the photos below was taken before I installed the trans. I would bet a months pay that this thing would clear A.C. if I had it.

Sam Colalillo 05-25-2008 12:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another photo of it in the car. Remember Cotton's did not have the car when they made this down pipe. Not to bad hey?

BrianHynes 05-26-2008 12:14 PM

The kid does awsome work!

johndeeregn 05-26-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Colalillo (Post 2436)
Here is another photo of it in the car. Remember Cotton's did not have the car when they made this down pipe. Not to bad hey?

An absolutly BEAUTIFUL JOB;)

Phoneguy 06-08-2008 08:44 PM

By the way... it does clear with AC.

Bryan

Sam Colalillo 06-26-2008 02:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was trying to get the car positioned so a photo of the down pipe could be taken. Looks like I will need to try a little harder.

ANY WAY THE DOWN PIPE IS WORKING GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JCotton1 06-26-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Colalillo (Post 2779)
I was trying to get the car positioned so a photo of the down pipe could be taken. Looks like I will need to try a little harder.

ANY WAY THE DOWN PIPE IS WORKING GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, the car looks great, got anymore pictures you can share. How bout a little more info on your car.. inquiring minds want to know... not to mention I could use another 10 of the AC delete sill plates... :)